SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF Coda III Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illoquent
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: KEF Coda III Setup Reply with quote

Hi forum, bit new to this business so was looking for a few pointers in the right direction for my setup, have just purchased a pair of KEF Coda III's, and am currently on the look for an amplifier. My setup is just for bedroom DJing, am currently looking at a NAD C340 Amp which seems suitable, I assume I will require 4mm banana plugs for interconnections.
Any opinions on amp/speaker combo?

One other thing I was contemplating is adding a Subwoofer into the setup, but am unsure how I would be able to wire this in properly?

All help appreciated!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you're dealing with bookshelf speakers use this to set them up

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFCelesteIVManual/KEFCelesteIVManualp2.html

not the same model but it's near enough

and to set up a sub-woofer you need an amplifier with outputs for two sets of speakers A, B, A+B, you connect the "sub's speaker (high) level" cable to B.

Line level sub inputs require amplifiers with pre outs, so an old Audiolab 8000C might be worthy of consideration.

Quote:
would that be the set up for an active subwoofer too

I thought that's what I was talking about Smile .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.

Last edited by ColinR on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
illoquent
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Colin, would that be the set up for an active subwoofer too?
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pair of Coda3s years ago on elegant looking Mission pillar sand filled stands which I used for synthesiser playback/monitoring in a secondary room. I used them with an old Rotel amp from the days they were British Stan Curtis designs, and the slight brightness and good stereo imaging of these amps suited them well. I would say a Nad should be fine.

When I tried setting them up next to my Kef References and Spendors in the main system I was surprised at just how good they were, almost a kind of "poor man's" LS3/5a with more bass. I regard them as one of the outstanding Kef models in value for money terms across the years. I seem to remember they got a great review in one of the Martin Colloms Hi Fi Choices.
illoquent
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
As you're dealing with bookshelf speakers use this to set them up

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFCelesteIVManual/KEFCelesteIVManualp2.html

not the same model but it's near enough

and to set up a sub-woofer you need an amplifier with outputs for two sets of speakers A, B, A+B, you connect the "sub's speaker (high) level" cable to B.

Line level sub inputs require amplifiers with pre outs, so an old Audiolab 8000C might be worthy of consideration.

Quote:
would that be the set up for an active subwoofer too

I thought that's what I was talking about Smile .

Alright thats good then, just wanted to clear it up so i knew!

Yea well pleased with the pair of these, especially for 20 quid
illoquent
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8000C looks a bit out or my price range, have had a look at the 8000A which looks decent, would it be possible to run an Active Subwoofer using that Amp?
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the 8000A has working pre-outs, or, if the sub has main out filtered feeds, you can entirely separate the pre and power amp if you wish by unsoldering 2 resistors and replacing them elsewhere on the board with 2 capacitors.

Best versions are D series onwards, the older British built amps have much higher quality components than the new Chinese built ones (the present company has no links to the original). Only thing to look out for is phono sockets on the back which can degrade after 10 or more years and need replacing, the later 60W models will easily drive Coda3s to their limit at very high quality.
illoquent
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 8000A has working pre outs for the sub, and can also power the Coda3s, or will this require a bit of a rework?

Have my eye on an F model which looks up to scratch.

Cheers
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the pre out is normally working, and if you want to drive the Codas full range then the power amp is normally connected and will do just fine. You just adjust the volume of the sub to balance the low bass with the rest of the spectrum. Here the sub adds low bass where the Codas tail off.

The alternative is if the sub has a line level filter out for the main system, minus low bass for example. Then you could separate the pre and power and drive the Codas through the 8000A power amp without very low frequencies, these being taken care of by the sub.

The second arrangement will go louder if the sub can handle enough power, but practically in normal rooms the Codas can do 104 dB cleanly so if you do not normally fry speakers to make your ears bleed when listening then I doubt you would see much of a difference Smile
illoquent
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the option to get a NAD 317, would 80 wpc be overkill for the speakers?
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really, the more power the better in terms of clean transients, whether you break the speakers depends on whoever's in charge of the volume control Smile

Actually the paper or 8 ohm resistor watts can be misleading. A well designed 50W amp that can handle reactive loads with ease and can pump instantaneous current into low loads within its output stage safe operating area can easily sound louder and cleaner than a 100W amp which hard current limits as soon as it sees 6 ohms for example. The difference between 60W and 80W is negligible in real loudness terms since the perceived loudness is logarithmic scale not linear.
illoquent
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I were then to go the other way, to an amp at 30wpc, what effect would this have?
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

less power Smile

Seriously at 87dB/W for the Coda3 a *good* 30W amp would get near the max output and probably be enough for most domestic circumstances, but on wide dynamic range material a good reserve of power gives the impression of less strain and distortion. Clipping is also dangerous and blows more tweeters than loud program generally.
illoquent
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What amp would you reccomend for a pair of 104ab's?
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would be around 3dB less sensitive than Codas, to achieve the same ballpark max sound pressure you would need a 100W amp, I would say that is a minimum to get a nice solid unstrained sound.

I had a pair many years ago with Quad 405. The aB version which I upgraded to is better and well worth having in preference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: