SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celine Dion killed my setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qguy
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Celine Dion killed my setup Reply with quote

System

AMP Cayin A-70T (push pull 6550)
Speakers Usher X-719, large bookshelf, two way with 7 inch woofer
Sub M&K V75 II (12 inch sub)

I was browsing my CD collection and saw my wifes Celine Dion cd, theres one particular song there that I liked, so after warming up my system I played that song, one particular part of the song was this loud "slam" where the whole soundstage just explodes in your face and pushes you back into your seat, kinda like an HT movie explosion Twisted Evil . I turned up the volume and I braced myself for that part... puff.. nothing, Shocked I mean the music was there, but the slam was absent, adjusted the Sub volume, crossover, listening position... still puff.. what was wrong Question Then I recalled the last time I played this track was when I had the KEF 105.2 (3 ways, 12 inch woofer) . Been two years since I sold the KEF and I want it back !!! but thats not possible as I sold them for parts as the box got water damaged Sad Anyways my chance of getting another 105.2 is near impossible so I was thinking of getting the next best thing, a 104/2. Now the question is, Can the 104/2 (3 ways, two 8 inch woofer ) + the M&K sub, more or less compete with the dynamics of the 105.2. ?
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celine Dion? Really? Wink

I don't think the 104-2 will have the bottom end of the 105/2. The 107 will, though. If it is bottom end that you are after, then you could simply fit two quality subwoofers installed on each side of your listening seat, or front and back. I put the emphasis on two for the most effective shockwave...

Interesting reading
http://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers/48286-guide-subwoofers-part-ii-standing-waves-room-modes.html

Plenty of KEF components for a few fun builds
qguy
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think its a subwoofer problem, as there is a lot of low frequency energy, I think its the mid-bass slam thats missing ...

Lee in Montreal wrote:
Celine Dion? Really? Wink

I don't think the 104-2 will have the bottom end of the 105/2. The 107 will, though. If it is bottom end that you are after, then you could simply fit two quality subwoofers installed on each side of your listening seat, or front and back. I put the emphasis on two for the most effective shockwave...

Interesting reading
http://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers/48286-guide-subwoofers-part-ii-standing-waves-room-modes.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: