SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef Calinda crossovers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayyyt
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Kef Calinda crossovers Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new on the forum. I just picked up a pair of Calindas on e-bay. They work & have the proper speakers in their enclosures. But the crossovers look weak. There are a couple of small resistors that look a bit distorted & very faded. I was told that replacing resistors & caps will make a difference in sound quality. The number on the crossover board is #p100350. Can I test these using a volt-ohm meter? I haven't removed them yet. I have repaired domes on its t-27s. Is there anything special about these resistors I should know about, Before trying to locate them. Also, Would anyone out there know where I could find a "KEF" name tag the 20mm one at the lower corner of the cabinet? One of mine was missing. Now it is crossover time. g
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the resistances and inductors. They rarely change value or condition over time. Concentrate on the cheapie capacitors.

To measure the values of the components, you have to remove them from the printed circuit as each resistance, inductor and capacitor is affected by its environment. Find a good LCR meter and have fun.

Lee
Evo 105/2 - in the build
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the "fluffy looking" 3R and 22R metal oxide resistors will be a waste of money unless someone has been attacking the PCB with a toffee hammer.

Depending upon the state of your hearing, the order of sound quality, decreasing cost and increasing ESR is as follows, Polystyrene>Polycarbonate>Polyester>L.L. Electrolytic>Electrolytic.

Be aware, if you go for the expensive option you might get a pair of speakers with a forward midrange and spitty top end, so keep it cheap to begin with.

Poncy capacitors are a waste of money and oil/paper should only be used externally where their condition can be monitored.

Any capacitor can go bang but a corrosive paper in oil mess is much worse than any dusty electrolytic.

Finally, the shits on sleezeBay sometimes offer badges at silly prices, I cannot help as my last spare went to Australia a long time ago and was recently burnt to a crisp like many other parts of the Blue Mountains Sad .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Be aware, if you go for the expensive option you might get a pair of speakers with a forward midrange and spitty top end, so keep it cheap to begin with.

Yup. when I redid the crossovers on my 105/2s with great Solen caps, I ended up with forward midrange, most likely caused by the much lower resistance values in the Solen caps than in the original electrolytics. Nothing that an L pad can't change... Also, the Zobel filter close to the midrange driver was affected, therefore the overall midrange impedance might not be what it is supposed to be...

So, to sum it up, no need to fit the most expensive capacitors...
Evo 105/2 - in the build
grayyyt
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Thanks To All !!! Very Cool Group
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pair of Calinda's had a weak3.3uF capacitor in the HP section that measured around 1.1uF when removed from the crossover. The same one on the other unit was also off but not as much. For now I replaced both with a pair of similar caps rated 5uF but measuring around 4uF and things hve improved. Still need to schedule a full recap.

I would not go for polycarbonate caps for reasons of cost and the ones explained before. I think I would start with high quality electrolytic, be able to buy more and match them and also experiment with slightly varying the actual value.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the opinion on replacing with new electrolytics of low side tolerance or next preferred value down and padding up with a low value polyester?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: