SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105 drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencer
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: 105 drivers Reply with quote

Have listened to the 105's I finally got (from original owner) two weeks ago and am as impressed as I was in 1978 when I heard them in the showroom with 32 year younger ears. Imaging like nothing else.
Any chance of finding replacment T52's and or B110's today? At high levels they may be showing some age problems. I guess the electrolytic caps could also be the problem?
Also, should I rotate the woofer as I have read? Orig owner never did.
Thanks
Spencer
Thierry
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 105 drivers Reply with quote

spencer wrote:
Have listened to the 105's I finally got (from original owner) two weeks ago and am as impressed as I was in 1978 when I heard them in the showroom with 32 year younger ears. Imaging like nothing else.

So true, they are real jaw droppers !

spencer wrote:
Any chance of finding replacment T52's and or B110's today? At high levels they may be showing some age problems. I guess the electrolytic caps could also be the problem?

On mine I had the same problem at high levels. After suspecting a defective driver and electrolytic capacitors I found the culprit : crossover connectors to the head were a bit loose and corroded. I cleaned them up with isopropanol and moderatly pinched the female connectors : problem was sorted ! May be you should check this before suspecting a driver as when it is properly set the S-STOP make the B110s and T52s virtually indestructible.

spencer wrote:
Also, should I rotate the woofer as I have read? Orig owner never did.
Thanks
Spencer

Did this too, one B300 was slighly rubbing when pushed by hand on the bottom side.

Thierry
spencer
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thierry,
I assume access to those connections means removing the drivers. I have worked with speakers extensivly but hesitate to mess anything up like seals.
Anything I should look for?
Thanks again.
Thierry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencer wrote:
Thanks Thierry,
I assume access to those connections means removing the drivers. I have worked with speakers extensivly but hesitate to mess anything up like seals.
Anything I should look for?
Thanks again.

The 105.2 Xover is easy to access when the woofer has been removed.

In order to not let it fall from your hands you can either first remove the two lower screws and hold the chassis while you unscrew the top one, or better solution is to let the bass cabinet rest on it's back, then and take your time carefully removing the B300.
Then you'll have to remove the internal damping foam and you'll have access to the Xover board. You can see some pics of the job here if it helps: http://picasaweb.google.fr/Thmartin60/Kef105_II#

Thierry
spencer
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, Thanks. Wish I could read French.
Just to clarify, you said "crossover connectors to the head"
Is that the connection from the crossover to the mid/tweet unit on inside of top?
S
Thierry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencer wrote:
Great pics, Thanks. Wish I could read French.
Just to clarify, you said "crossover connectors to the head"
Is that the connection from the crossover to the mid/tweet unit on inside of top?
S

Well not exactly, the connection is made at both ends of the big black cable :

- one is on the crossover PCB by the means of the lugs you can see here on the left side of this picture, left side of the big inductor. They are marked with the cables colours (green, black, blue, yellow, white, red)

You can see them better here, bottom of the PCB :

- the other one is at the other end of the cable, on the mid/tweet enclosure.

I reckon your connectors on the PCB side may need cleaning/tightening.

At the same occasion you can check the if a capacitor is leaking but I doubt there is a problem with these.

Thierry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: