SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef Cantata "midrange not working"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tropicalpests
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Kef Cantata "midrange not working" Reply with quote

I have some older Kef,s Cantata,s that I recently took back out of storage ( ten years ) I,m not sure but I think the mid-range is fried on one of them, it worked on and off for a minute or two then quit. I took the driver out and the only number on it is ( SP1057 ) My question is how do I trouble shoot-it? Is there an easy way with out disconnecting it from the wiring harness? They are considered a large bookself speaker, but they are floor standing with rolling castors............... UPDATE.....I posted this message this morning and this afternoon I found out by directly attaching a live speaker wire to the mid-range that the mid- range works!!!!!... Must be somthing else!!???
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... sounds like the crossover? Pehraps a capacitor is partially "blown"?

Did you check to make sure the wires had solid connections?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you've checked the 0.8 Amp fuse Embarassed

If the fuse is ok, the mid and treble switches get oxidised/sulphidised over time so unscrew the metal panel and clean them.
cryptfactor
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: your cantata Reply with quote

Assuming the fuse has not failed, the wafer switches (mid. control) could be to blame. Try moving it rapidly back and forth; does it sound 'noisy'? I doubt that the drive unit is open circuit, though its easy to check with a meter. I'd be even more surprised if there was a problem with the crossover.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: