SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone try to match KEF 105/2's with a center speaker ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff2468
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Anyone try to match KEF 105/2's with a center speaker ? Reply with quote

I am using KEF 105 Model 2's for the fronts in a home theater powered by a Denon 2809CI and I was wondering if anyone has any experience matching a center speaker to the 105/2?
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fun one. Many things tried and many disappointments.
I don't listen to multi-channel music (much) but that whole system does 50/50 double duty 2 channel music and 5 channel HT. R.105 II's front and R.101's rear.
Best results so far have been with an older Kef q10c.
On the occasion that I do listen to music on all cylinders it's "not bad", and for HT it's better than that.
I too would love to know what others have found a good match.
jeff2468
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx 4 the suggestion on the q10c but I do not believe they were ever sold in the US, at least they do not show up 4 sale on an Ebay or Google search. Seeems like no one else on the forum ever gave it a shot. Happy new year.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of KEF Ref. 103s (B200 SP1039/T52 SP1049) in series as a "centre" are being used to good effect with Webb transmission lines (B139B, B110A, T27, Coles 4001G) in Middleton, Manchester.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Jeff, The Q10C came to me (used) from the US. But you're quite right there's not many come up since I bought mine.
The iQ6C series that are still available seem very close in spec's size price and design, though I can't say comment on the tonality.

My personal experience using vintage dual speakers in mono as Collin notes was disappointing. Both with KEF Corelli's and R.101's there was a weird lumpy off axis response no matter how I positioned them. Since the UK 103's work well, perhaps my problem related to the nature of the T-27 tweeters in the KEF's I tried.

As much as despise the uni-q "sound" in any full range 2 channel KEF's I've heard, one startlingly good advantage is the dispersion when used for center channel. Dialogue is reproduced quite naturally across a wide field with the 5.25" drivers though my golden eared wife says female voices do seem occasionally a tad shrill.
I say that's not at all "unnatural" Smile)
jeff2468
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O.
A speaker system that filtered out all shrill female voices would not likely have a flat frequency response, but that is a matter for a different topic. I don't see any IQ6Cs at the moment but the IQ60C is available for $300 US. Also wondering if I am wasting time and money spinning my wheels and maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a good full set of matched speakers?

Last edited by jeff2468 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:03 am; edited 2 times in total
krimney
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: kef center Reply with quote

I sold a pair of kef 102 to a fellow who is using 104/2 s his mains. He also has a pair of 102 for rears. here is what he ahd to say about using a pair of 102 for his center:

His quote:

Despite warnings that a pair of speakers might not be a good idea for a center channel because of interference between the tweeters, I have been using a pair of 102s as the center channel and have noticed no such interference. The result is a seamless soundstage, a pair of 102s being a better match to the 104.2s than a single 102. Voices and music seem much more natural with the 102s than they did with the more HT-oriented 200C. I have really been enjoying multi-channel bit-streaming DSD SACDs and lossless codecs for operas on Blu-rays. Even my old AIX discs seem to have taken on new life. HT sound has not suffered at all, while dialog is definitely clearer and more natural.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh No... Sacrilege!
Don't throw in the towel yet Jeff. It seems I'm out voted on my negativity towards some vintage KEF's working well in the middle. You've a couple of good options there, 103's & 102's.
My current set up is with a Q-10 and IMF-80's to the right & left. Just because the big TL's were brought into the room for an extended evaluation after a re-capping and I've not got the energy to move them out again.
The Q center is even a better match with those.

$300 doesn't seem bad for a good CC. After using 105 II's you be spending very big $$$$ to come anywhere close to their sound buying any modern all around matching set.
jeff2468
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O.
Ordered an IQ60C today and I am looking forward to integrating it into my system, I will let you know how it works out. Out of curiosity and being brand agnostic, what are your favorite subs?
jeff2468
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O. thx for the suggestions. Set up the IQ60C and I happy with the result. System is much improved and I still get to use the KEF 105/2's that I have enjoyed since I purchased them new when they first came out. Very eclectic setup now with Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers (circa 1990) that I had around for the surround speakers. Next I'll have to pick up a sub. Again, thx for you help.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Jeff. Best match I've found. Lovely the way it's so omni-directional eh?
Recently I've been using some IMF TLS80's for the mains ... the 105 II's have not yet made it back to the main room. There's zero need for a sub with the IMF's. The Q10C is a near perfect center channel with them also BTW.
Personally I've never liked using a sub woofer with any vintage KEF. Makes a mess of the music, and it's a pain turning it off & on / adjusting just for HT use. The 105 II may lack some slam of the movie house on effects, but it's very capable of convincing realism at higher SPL's. I've never really wanted more, but my room is small.
Of course the right amp is a Must.
The Rang
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff2468 wrote:
T.O. thx for the suggestions. Set up the IQ60C and I happy with the result. System is much improved and I still get to use the KEF 105/2's that I have enjoyed since I purchased them new when they first came out. Very eclectic setup now with Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers (circa 1990) that I had around for the surround speakers. Next I'll have to pick up a sub. Again, thx for you help.

May I ask where you bought the IQ60C?
Currently using the old Model 100 with my Q35.2's/Q15.2's but suspect the newer IQ speaker may be a better match and provide improved clarity and increased bass with the double woofers.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no dealer in Canada that I know of. A few can always be found listed in this unmentionable place:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KEF-iQ-60C-Black-Ash-Open-Box-/150550958519?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item230d8951b7
The Rang
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O. Chef wrote:
There's no dealer in Canada that I know of. A few can always be found listed in this unmentionable place:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KEF-iQ-60C-Black-Ash-Open-Box-/150550958519?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item230d8951b7

Thanks for the info Smile

Found one at a well respected on-line retailer in Montana (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name here, so I won't) brand new for under $300.
Have a US ship to address (relatives in Seattle) so that won't be an issue.

Am going to check a couple of local dealers to see if they have stock and are blowing them out before I go the on-line route.
lg
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I was in the same situation as jeff2468 and ordered the iQ60c for $300 from Vann's. I had it shipped to Champlain, NY and brought it home (just on the south shore of Montreal). It works like a charm - I haven't really tested it just yet but the results are quite satisfactory thus far.
Just wanted to say "thanks" for the advice!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: