SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new member / kef 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karel2712
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: new member / kef 101 Reply with quote

Hi , my name is Karel Nonnemaker , il live in the netherlands.
Last week i bought some kef's 101.
Technical they are ok , i think , but the cabinets show that they are of age.

Advise is needed about "refreshing" KEF 101 cabinets ( remove old laquer) replacing inner cable for B110 and what stands to use ( heavy or light .

Removing the B110 should not be a problem , desolder and remove them. The T27 is a different story ? , i have to cut the wires ?

pls advise.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Model 101 was designed for bookshelf mounting. I've never tried mine on stands.

The T27 wires are not normally long enough to reach the crossover, so there should be a join in each wire, protected by rubber sleeving which you can pull back, unsolder and separate.
karel2712
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks speakerguru , i will check this once i start.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding removing old lacquer, don't use sanding paper to sand them down. You should use paint remover. It's a jelly like substance that you apply using a paintbrush in a rather thick layer - not too thick. You leave it there for a few minutes and then strip it (along with the old lacquer) with a spatula.

You should remove the drivers from the speaker but with a little bit of care you don't need to remove the crossover, foam and wool fibre inside or the binding posts.

You can then apply a new lacquer using a paintbrush. I prefer to use glossy lacquer that I later wipe with a 3M buffing sponge to remove the gloss and create a more...seasoned appearance.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
then apply a new lacquer using a paintbrush. I prefer to use glossy lacquer that I later wipe with a 3M buffing sponge to remove the gloss and create a more...seasoned appearance

Near enough Very Happy, one of KEF's subcontractor box makers once told me the celloulose varnish would have been sprayed on and then given a wipe and the surface finish built up over a couple of cycles.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
karel2712
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another question , the rubber ? surroundings ( b110 ) are a bit sticky on some places.
What is the best way of cleaning ?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the rubber ? surroundings ( b110 ) are a bit sticky on some places

The late B110A/B compound curve vacuum formed Velbex surround is a food grade vulcanised rubber Cool .

Quote:
What is the best way of cleaning

No idea!

Seriously though as the "stickiness" has appeared after leaving the KEF factory and if of unknown origin/composition (got a laser-Raman FTIR?), leave well alone.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Armour-All ... an automotive rubber / vinyl cleaner & protector on KEF surrounds to clean sticky residue. (Smoky environments?)
It works very well as far as cleaning goes.
In Canada it's available on pre-moistened wipes making localized application simple and accurate.

What I don't know is if there's any negative long term effects to its use.
Anyone familiar with the chemical properties of this product and any potential danger it may pose to surround material?
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O. Chef wrote:
Anyone familiar with the chemical properties of this product and any potential danger it may pose to surround material?

ArmorAll is silicone. It sure looks shiny right away, but on the long term it dries out plastics and rubber.
Evo 105/2 - in the build
karel2712
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being satisfied with the 101 , wrong stand or maybe something
wrong with the speakers themselves i sold them after a few months.
They were not as good as expected.
Last week i got me some old cresta's ( 1971) and some caprice 1 speakers.
After a short time of comparing them i think the caprice are more musical
than the cresta's .
The cresta''s have more bass but i think the mids from the caprice are
better.
As i already said , i didn't listen to them that good and need to have some proper stands.
Do they use the same filter and will it be possible to upgrade with another
filter from falcon acoustics ?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not being satisfied with the 101 , wrong stand or maybe something
wrong with the speakers themselves i sold them after a few months.
They were not as good as expected.

Buying older “sows’ ear” KEF speakers like the Cresta/Caprice and hoping to improve their sound is just perverse as you didn’t like the sound of a “silk purse” / optimal computer aided “dog’s bollocks” design like the KEF Ref. 101.

Give up with KEF speakers and buy something more to your taste like Bose, Cerwin Vega or JBL.
karel2712
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin . i didn't say that the 101 is a bad speaker . I have heard them before and also the ls3/5a.
Those two have always been my favourite choice. The 101's i bought did not sound good and i don't have the technical skiils to check crossovers . I joined this forum because i really like the sound of older kef speakers.
So don't judge me for saying that my 101 didn't sound as good as i
expected. Every design with a b110/t27 has my attention.

UPDATE :

Managed to buy some other Kef 101 speakers since my last post .After reading collins comment , some articles on the internet and my experiences from many years back with the 101´s , there still was a big voice in my head saying that a pair of caprices couldn´t be better than a pair of 101´s. Let me first tell what my system setup is :
Kelvin Labs 2 x 20 watt class A ( not tube ) , Rotel RCD 06 , homemade interconnects/speakercables and some styropor blocks as speakerstands. So it is nothing special but the point i am trying to make is this ( and don´t shoot me ) :
The Caprice´s sound more musical , especially the mids , than the 101´s so there has got to be something wrong.
Assuming my ears are ok , what could be the reason ?
Do i need a bigger amp to get the 101´s full potential ? When i heard them at the sellers house . big onkyo amp ( not class A ) and
older cd player , they sounded very good.
As far as i know the Kelvin Labs partnered very good with the LS3/5A and can deliver much current but not much watts.
Do i need big heavy stands ?
Is there someone who can tell me what will be a solution , maybe from his own experience , before i make the wrong decision ( again ).
Thanks in advance.
karel2712
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to buy some other Kef 101 speakers since my last post .After reading collins comment , some articles on the internet and my experiences from many years back with the 101´s , there still was a big voice in my head saying that a pair of caprices couldn´t be better than a pair of 101´s. Let me first tell what my system setup is :
Kelvin Labs 2 x 20 watt class A , Rotel RCD 06 , homemade interconnects/speakercables and some styropor blocks
as speakerstands. So it is nothing special but the point i am trying to make is this ( and don´t shoot me ) :
The Caprice´s sound more musical , especially the mids , than the 101´s so there has got to be something wrong.
Assuming my ears are ok , what could be the reason ?
Do i need a bigger amp to get the 101´s full potential ? When i heard them at the sellers house . big onkyo amp ( not class A ) and
older cd player , they sounded very good.
As far as i know the Kelvin Labs partnered very good with the LS3/5A and can deliver much current but not much watts.
Do i need big heavy stands ?
Is there someone who can tell me what will be a solution , maybe from his own experience , before i make the wrong decision ( again ).
Thanks in advance.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karel2712 wrote:
Do i need a bigger amp to get the 101´s full potential ?

I don't think 20 watts is enough unless your room is very small. They are pretty inefficient, around the same as the LS3/5a at 81dB/W but can take much more power. 20 watts will only get you around 93-94dB max clean sound level, which may not be enough to give that "effortless" sound? A good 100W amp will make them produce around 100dB peaks on normal program and this should seem a lot more "solid" sounding.

On the other hand there is the possibility the crossover caps may have drifted on speakers this old, and they may not have the balance they had when new?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: