SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short term fix for buzzing drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larnerp
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Short term fix for buzzing drivers Reply with quote

Hi,

I just joined your forum today. I stumbled across the forum whilst researching the second-hand prices of Kef 104's.

My father originally purchases a pair of 104aB's back in the late 1970s, and I was always pleased by the sound. I bought my 104s about 10 years ago (although they were originally built back in 1974).

I had to replace a tweeter, which was blown and fill in some holes that had been drilled into the back of the cabinets (presumably for wall-mounting).

However, I noticed a buzz on one the drivers (the B200?) and contacted Kef to see whether they could supply a replacement. They said not, but suggested they could strip and rebuild the drive unit (I seem to recall a figure of about 200 mentioned - that was each, as both should be done at the same time to maintain a matched pair?).

Not having that cash available, I asked whether there was a short term fix, and I was told there was ... the following is what I can remember of the advice given to me by a Kef engineer in Maidstone :

I was told that the cause of the buzz was a fine coating of rust on the coil (caused by the speakers being stored in the loft for a few years). I was advised to run the speakers quite loud, so that the cone was moving in/out by about 5-10mm, then run my finger round the edge of the driver. This would distort the speaker coil, whilst the cone was running in and out and that would rub the rust off. The final advice was to lay the speaker on it's back to allow the rust to fall out the back for the driver coil.

I followed the advice, and it worked, although I'm not sure whether it would break the audiophile's heart to hear of this abuse!

Has anyone else been given this advice?
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Wow - you're a brave soul! I'm not sure if I could do that.... but I am glad it worked! Smile

Just for the record, I have never heard of that method. But I know of a local outfit that will charge $10.00 per inch to fix a driver. For an 8 inch driver, they'd charge $80.00.

The value of 200 is about $480.00 Canadian.

Sometimes it pays to live in the colonies.... Wink
larnerp
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gary.

At the time, the buzz was very irritating Sad , yet I couldn't afford to pay to have the driver rebuilt so I worked on the basis that (a) it couldn't make things much worse, (b) I could see the sense in what I was being told, and (c) it was a Kef engineer (or possibly the receptionist?) that gave me the advice.

I must confess I had been very lucky to buy the speakers at the price I did. Looking back at my bank records, I withdrew 250 cash from the bank to buy the speakers, negotiated a deal with the seller to buy them for 110 (due to the blown tweeter) and then paid another 37.00 for a replacement T27. I then paid the princely sum of 19 for a pair of stands, so the total cost was just under 2/3rds my original budget! Laughing

All the best,

Paul...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: