SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cabinets for B-200 sp1054

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: cabinets for B-200 sp1054 Reply with quote

Hello people out there.
I own a pair of B-200's sp1054 which i want to use in a two-way system, combined with a Philips tweeter and cross-overs from Chorales.
I can hear you think "what a combination" Rolling Eyes .
Let me explain: i used the b-200's in a self build Baily's TL.system, used them for years. I got a pair of heavily damaged Chorales one day, i wanted to use the T-27 in my bailys but to my surpise they contained a Philips tweeter. 25 mm dome, nearly same size as the T27, not really bad at all.
The b200's from the Chorales went to my brother who's son blew them up trying to play DJ. Sad
So all is left is the combination i mentioned above.

Now to my question; what internal dimensions should a closed cabinet for the B-200's have (ought to be)??
I was thinking about 30 liters for volume but i am not sure.
Please give me some suggestions.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KEF datasheet issue 0677 for the SP1054 states, totally enclosed box 20-25 litres, reflex 40-50 litres Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
The KEF datasheet issue 0677 for the SP1054 states, totally enclosed box 20-25 litres, reflex 40-50 litres Cool .

Thank you Colin, i already looked at Home page hifiloudspeakers.info(Terry's website isn't it?)
but the links to the datasheets didn't/don't work. So Terry, if you read this please take a look.
I'll try and see if i can find something about a KefKit in which the B-200's are used. I mean to know that the sp1054 was never sold for homeconstructors, please let me know if i'm wrong. Thanks for so far, i'll let you know about the progress
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, the SP1054 was only used on the Calinda. So, I would think the perfect cabinet for that would be a 50lt PR one combined with a B139PR.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the SP1054 was only used on the Calinda

By KEF, but it was used in one of the Celef Studio Professional Monitors as a midrange unit with ATC bass and treble units.

Apart from stuffed boxes the SP1054 unlike the other B200 varients (as I've tried them) is good in a ~4' folded tapered horn Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a terrible mistake, i hadn't seen them for years, and i recently found out that it is a pair of SP1039 Embarassed
I don't know how i got this false memory Shocked
Thanks anyway folks. Won't be until summer when i am able to work on it so i have some time left for research.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's easy then, the 1039 was one of the best, if not the best B200 for lack of midrange colouration, short coil in a long magnet gap for low distortion and used in the original 103 and 104 +aB so for closed box use the internal volume of the original 103 - which unfortunately seems to have the wrong info in the relevant Kef history page!
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/SpeakerSystems/103/103.html
Found some info here, since i highly judge Colin's knowledge i believe that the measurements he mentioned will be the right ones.
Quote:
if not the best B200 for lack of midrange colouration

You're right about that, i owned a pair of sp1014 before and they sounded, as we say in the netherlands, quite nasal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: