SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celef speaker with FOUR Kef B110's !!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it me or :

Yup! Very Happy

The low numbers of Celef Studio Professional Monitors is down to their cost and custom build nature with only the outer box being common to the line.

Having looked well outside what would considered to be the "normal" realms I can confirm.

This speaker design was used for a "job" Cool .

The "job" was sound reinforcement at a reception held at Spithead on the QE II in 1977 for a parasite's silver jubilee.

They are pictured (if you look carefully in the wide shots) in a Cunard promotional booklet about the facilities and luxury of their liner.

I cannot confirm that this particular pair were the ones used.

A couple of other multi B110 bass systems exist including a KEF design for "jobs".
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
pete the bus
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To SASI,
I understand your reasoning for querying the origins of these particular speakers. After all, they are a real anomaly. As Colin says, and I thank him enormously for his input into this thread, they seem to be a "one-off", hand-made pair. If you were able to compare the two cabinets, there are slight differences in positioning of the drive units and positions of the machine screws on the baffle, all suggesting a hand-built rather than machined finish. As stated earlier in the thread, I have received confirmation from Proac that there was a design using the drivers shown, but with some confusion over the mid driver, Proac quoting an ATC rather than an Audax. Apparently a later version did use an ATC driver in a similar configuration, and I guess this is where the confusion lies.
I picked them up in a 2nd hand electrical store in Dover, so there is a connection there with Colins info about a similar pair being used on a Cruise Liner...Although AFAIK the QE2 has never been to Dover. Maybe a seaman from Dover ended up with them having worked on the QE2?
Unfortunatley, after I purchased them, they were used for outdoor parties and events, suffering a lot of knocking and bashing around (think PA monitors!). The fact they have survived as well as they have and still sound superb is testament to their build quality and design by a one Mr. Tyler...
FYI:- here are a couple of links to my photobucket site with a picture showing one of my Calindas and one of my my Celefs side by side...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/pete-the-bus/Celef%20%20Speakers/CelefCalindacomparison003.jpg?t=1316617664

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/pete-the-bus/Celef%20%20Speakers/?action=view&current=CelefCalindacomparison001.jpg

To ColinR,

Thats amazing detective work Colin!
To think that these may have been designed for a VIP party aboard the QE2 is mind boggling! I think I need to do further research. Is there anyway you can PM me the link or info on the brochure in question?
Many thanks for all your input on this...
Peter

footnote:
If anybody on this forum would like to hear them you are invited to do so. I live in Folkestone, Kent, and have a kettle. Very Happy
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PM me the link or info on the brochure

I stated
Quote:
outside "normal" realms,

so I'm afraid you'll have to look for someone yourself who collects 1977 royalist rubbish, 1977 Cunard stuff, etc.

The fact that the speakers ended up in Dover is probably to do with another ship, although both the QE2 and S.P. Tyler were docked in the Southampton area around the same time Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
pete the bus
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Quote:
PM me the link or info on the brochure

I stated
Quote:
outside "normal" realms,

so I'm afraid you'll have to look for someone yourself who collects 1977 royalist rubbish, 1977 Cunard stuff, etc.

Ooohh, Colin, you are such a tease! Wink

I have spoken with Darren at Proac today, and he is going to leave a note on Mr. Tylers desk. I will also write to him by post. And tomorrow I will visit the guy in Dover who sold them to me to see if he remembers where they came from...

Meanwhile I shall carry on listening to the wonderful sounds that these Celefs produce... Very Happy
MGM
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little 'off topic', but I owned a pair of Celef Monitors back in the '70s. They had a Kef B200 and a Peerless tweeter.
Very nice loudspeakers, much better than the Monitor Audio MA5s I rather stupidly replaced them with. I was 'taken in' by the bright and detailed sound of the MAs, which I later found I couldn't live with...

I have to say these ones being discussed are very interesting, as I never knew Celef made anything like a multi-driver speaker. I heard the Mini Prof. Celef at Hampstead HiFi and liked them, but there were out of my price bracket.
MGM
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Quote:
do yours have the B139 instead of the B110's, with the same arrangement for mid and treble

That's the beast, Audax 8" midrange, Audax Tweeter, KEF B139 with a customised Falcon crossover.

Falcon made all the Celef crossovers, but some designs had further customisation so the physical units don't exactly match the "known" circuits Razz .

As an aside, Mr Tyler does ring up owners of the "rarer" designs should they try to sell them asking, why?

So you could always leave a message for him at Proac with a contact number Shocked .

You never know Very Happy .

When I advertised my Celef Monitors I received a 'phone call from Mr. Tyler, asking me why I was selling them.
I thought it rather strange to receive a call from the designer...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: