SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Softening the T27
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proffski
‹ber Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "It is very noticeable that the R101s are more aggr Reply with quote

Have a look here: http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/AndyGoloskof/

Scroll down to "The Pretender". To tame the HF I used concentric layers of felt, making a sort of a felt horn.
It worked very well but sitting position became more critical.

Sorry about the quality but some of the pictures are scanned from small prints.
HightechRedneck
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: "It is very noticeable that the R101s are more aggr Reply with quote

BobL wrote:
HightechRedneck wrote:

This afternoon I remembered that I had some foam weather stripping out in the garage. I checked to see if it would work as a substitute for the foam inside the grills, which came OEM on the KEF. The material I have is not quite the same as the OEM, but the thickness and width are about right. Itís open cell foam, but has a skin on each side and adhesive on one of the skins.

Thank you for the post I would like to try this myself.

Can you tell us anything more about the foam you used? Thickness and width, maybe material ie. rubber, pvc, urethane and if we're very lucky manufacturer?

Thanks again.

Bob.

Bob,
I'll check it out and make another post.
BobL
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "It is very noticeable that the R101s are more aggr Reply with quote

HightechRedneck wrote:

Bob,
I'll check it out and make another post.

Thanks for that. You've really got me intrigued with this.

Bob.
HightechRedneck
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "It is very noticeable that the R101s are more aggr Reply with quote

BobL wrote:
HightechRedneck wrote:

This afternoon I remembered that I had some foam weather stripping out in the garage. I checked to see if it would work as a substitute for the foam inside the grills, which came OEM on the KEF. The material I have is not quite the same as the OEM, but the thickness and width are about right. Itís open cell foam, but has a skin on each side and adhesive on one of the skins.

Thank you for the post I would like to try this myself.

Can you tell us anything more about the foam you used? Thickness and width, maybe material ie. rubber, pvc, urethane and if we're very lucky manufacturer?

Thanks again.

Bob.

Bob- the material is Foam Weather tape from MD Building Products of Oklahoma City Oklahoma. It is 1/2 x 3/4 inch with self adhesive. I also tried a brand by Duck. I could tell no difference in either. There is no description of the foam type.
BobL
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "It is very noticeable that the R101s are more aggr Reply with quote

HightechRedneck wrote:

Bob- the material is Foam Weather tape from MD Building Products of Oklahoma City Oklahoma. It is 1/2 x 3/4 inch with self adhesive. I also tried a brand by Duck. I could tell no difference in either. There is no description of the foam type.

Thank you very much for going to this trouble for me. Much appreciated.

I've had a bit of a search on UK websites and so far drawn a blank on tape anything like that thick or that wide but I'll keep looking.

Thanks again.

Bob,
HightechRedneck
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "It is very noticeable that the R101s are more aggr Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
Have a look here: http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/AndyGoloskof/

Scroll down to "The Pretender". To tame the HF I used concentric layers of felt, making a sort of a felt horn.
It worked very well but sitting position became more critical.

Sorry about the quality but some of the pictures are scanned from small prints.

How thick is the material (felt) used? I have seem some very thin self-adhesive felt sold in craft shops. Is this the same type?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: