SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B110 cone dope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: B110 cone dope Reply with quote

Colins info about white belly B200 was informative.

However, it would be nice to know if 80-90% mixture of PVA glue is older grade carpenters glue (as far as I remember it is B3 grade) or newer D3 grade. Sika brand specifies 15 min working time on older grade glue and 5 min for D3. D3 also resist moisture quite much better. This can be advantage if everything works OK, but it would be much easier to remove older grade glue after unsucsesful dope.

It would help to decide how to proceed if one will know which grade of glue Kef used, when drivers were made. If you can melt and remove all old dope, repair might be easier to make... but if this is not possible making patch on damaged area is probably only option.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which grade of glue Kef used

KEF used Plastiflex a pH7/neutral bookbinding adhesive, hence my comments about "fishy smelling" amines in cheap PVA glue.

Elmer's and Gorilla are probably neutral, some of the rest will have pHs ~5 like Evo-stik, so get scientific with a jar of water + glue + pH papers either analytical or from the garden centre and do some measurements Shocked .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: