SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105 low frequency alignment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: 105 low frequency alignment Reply with quote

I have read from Keftopics about 105 low frequency alignment. However I did not fully understand this topic, or topics did not explain all aspects of alignment.

As far as I understand, large 450-480uF serises capacitor is used to increase second order slope to third order and filter unvanted low frequency information. When LP was no 1 audio source, rumble was main reason for this.

Kef Topics explain that resonance peak is lower on impedance curve and this allows driver to draw more current from amp, this improves efficiency. The part I do not understand is, how this series capacitor improves efficiency close resonant frequency of woofer.

Also it is not clear to me what this does to electrical damping of woofer. I suppose source impedance will increase due capcitor. If more current is goinig to woofer, does load actually become lower... does this mean that inferior damping is result for higher efficiency.

No free lunch here either?

It would be interesting to know if anybody have any ideas about this topic.

Best Regards
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've explained this type of third order alignment somewhere on this forum before. I'm sorry but I don't have time to find it atm. You'll have to search for yourself (now you know it's there).

The method came about as a result of the work on acoustic Butterworth for tweeters. It became clear that a simple series capacitor could extend the bass if the driver and box parameters were configured to suit. It works for the same reason that using a large series inductor, to have a low LF xo frequency cut off, does not work. You need to look at the equivalent circuits and see what happens. A simulator which will plot curves would be ideal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: