SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kef-203 two-way 1980s?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: kef-203 two-way 1980s? Reply with quote

I just purchased a set [made in england] of kef-203 it says on the front faceplate, it has an 8 inch sp-1075 woofer that needs work too[it distorts at even very low volumes,trianglular 3-hole mounting...does this unit go by a name[i didnt see it listed in the kef site unless its a carlton?Size is 18.5highx8 inch deepx11 inch wide,on the back it says type-sp-3001f, serial number-001545 any info on year made,or its backround is helpfull.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No name, it's simply a KEF 203.

If you want a provenance try the Caprice II SP3001, B200G, T33, crossover a'la CS3/5.

Not the Ref 103.2 as the pimps on ePay would have everyone believe.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get your SP1075 repaired somewhere in Chicago, as that's where I've been informed British KEF T33Mk II (SP1202, SP1191, SP1197, SP1197X) endowed loudspeaker owners get their ferrofluidised duds rebuilt.
You could always replace the SP1075's with paper coned SP1070's out of Celeste III's or IV's a'la the KEF 303.3 SP3002 btw.
Jb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: SP-1075 REPAIR Reply with quote

ColinR,You are a source of great wisdom on this site,our mutual interest in Kef speakers makes us brothers in high fidelity,If you happen to learn of the location in chicago,[where kefs are repaired] please let me know,I will repair them,and post the reviews for others who are interested.Thanks,bro.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask when I next see a 107mkII or 104-2 owner, however not having vast quantities of T33mkII's stored in my garage our paths don't cross that often.
So I suggest you ask about coil rewinds and network from Van L SpeakerWorks, 5704 North Western Avenue, Chicago, IL 60659, Tel 773 769 0773.
Stooker
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe while we're at it someone could explain what the difference between the 203 and the reference 103.2 is exactly besides cabinet size - the drivers look identical! My pair (of 203s) is type sp3001. The 103.2s sound a lot better.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 203 will have a crossover similar to that of the Carlton II or III, (a simple photograph or detailed description would enable confirmation), whilst the Ref 103-2 crossover is actually a modified Ref 101 circuit.
If you really like the 103-2 sound, why not find the circuit on this site, take the component values off Steve's schematic and use KEF's tolerances from the Constructor Series designs and make up your own crossover.
You should either hard wire it externally or do it on a largish Veroboard as you probably won't be able to "make-up" a Ref 103-2 circuit by simply substituting values on the existing board.
Jb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: woofer repair-sp1075 Reply with quote

Laughing Well im back to report,my 8inch-kef-sp1075-is back in working order,thanks to colinR and vanlspeakerworks.com . This shop is a pleasure to visit,while my woofer was being checked John,asked if I wanted to listen to some music on one of his in-house speakers,set up in a church stlyle shaped room.The amp was a integrated jolida,the cd was the same ,I sat down and listened for about one hour and forty five minutes.The sounds that came from the pair [quartet] of speakers were nothing like ive ever heard,[and ive heard many]they are fairly priced and I will purchase them as soon as funds allow.The kef woofer got a break-in,back in its cabinet,this weekend,and alls well.You know,when your stereos running good ,lifes a bit sweeter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: