SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reference 105 Crossover Mod (by someone else) Question/Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Innercity126
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reference 105 Crossover Mod (by someone else) Question/Help Reply with quote

Greetings to all,

Newbee to this site, but a long-time lover and owner of KEF loudspeakers. I recently picked up a pair of first gen 105's, and am in the process of giving them the once-over and a refinish to the cabinetry.

When I removed the front baffle on the bass bin, I was surprised, and a little confused, to see that the woofer was not wired to the crossover. The crossover was still in place, but the woofer was wired directly to the speaker inputs.

I am curious, why would someone do this, and could it have detrimental effects, especially on the woofer? They sound very good when played, and I would never have suspected a thing if it weren't for taking them apart.

This is more a question of curiousity, as I intend to wire them back to factory specs.

Thanks for any and all inputs. I look forward to your replies.

Regards,

William
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, any takers?
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am curious, why would someone do this,

Hello Innercity, did you test the bass-section of the x-overs.
I mean are you sure they are working? If not, that might be the answer to your question.
Innercity126

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TL,

I tested both crossovers with an Ohm meter, and everything checked out. However, I have not tested each individual capacitor, as I do not have a LCR meter.

My intention with the 105's is to replace the caps anyway, with same value electrolytics, so it may be a moot point.

I spoke with the person I purchased them from, who purchased them from someone else who did the mod, and he seemed to think that the bass crossover was disconnected because the owner used an active crossover and separate bass amp. Cannot be one hundred percent sure, but it makes sense.

Either way, I am grateful to have them, and look forward to the finished product. Cheers!

William
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought that the bass section of the crossover would have been fairly bomb proof anyway to be honest.
Let us know as to how you get on anywasy.
Innercity126

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I wouldn't even be touching the bass xover, except that someone down the line decided to mod the mid/high xovers and installed poly caps throughout.

I want to put all the xovers back to stock (at least in values). However, with the scarcity of NOS Elcaps on the market, I will have to find an alternative cap to use instead. The Alcaps at Falcon look promising, so I may go that route. I'll post my progress...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: