SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideal box for B139 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motorcycle Boy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Ideal box for B139 ? Reply with quote

Hi

reading and surfing about the B139 I learned that the Concerto's box seems to be "too small" for it to deliver the best it can. In stead of 62 L it should have something around 150 L Shocked

Did anybody ever try to develop the ideally constructed and sized loudspeakerbox around this B139 Question
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 100 litres, peoples' minds tend to gravitate towards transmission lines like Bailey, Webb, Atkinson, etc, where you get more bang (fast bass) for a smilarly sixed box.

The infinite baffle/reflex designs I know about that are in the ~100 litre class include.

A Heathkit design from the early 70's, which had a 2'*4" port at it's base filled with a foam wedge.

A Dutch pentagonal (with two short sides) CS7, the kits were made in Friesland. Occasionally seen on German ePay.

The Schlank und rank isn't a pigmy either.
http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFGermanGallery/pages/p24.htm
boyzo
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal box for B139 ? Reply with quote

160 liters vent tuned to 23Hz = room shaking bass

Motorcycle Boy wrote:
Hi

reading and surfing about the B139 I learned that the Concerto's box seems to be "too small" for it to deliver the best it can. In stead of 62 L it should have something around 150 L Shocked

Did anybody ever try to develop the ideally constructed and sized loudspeakerbox around this B139 Question
adam2a3
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal box for B139 ? Reply with quote

Hi boyzo, any dimensions for the 160 lt boxe's port available? I am currently using the CS7 box as a sub cabinet. Regards,adam2a3

boyzo wrote:
160 liters vent tuned to 23Hz = room shaking bass

Motorcycle Boy wrote:
Hi

reading and surfing about the B139 I learned that the Concerto's box seems to be "too small" for it to deliver the best it can. In stead of 62 L it should have something around 150 L :shock:

Did anybody ever try to develop the ideally constructed and sized loudspeakerbox around this B139 :?:
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

160l box ~100cm*34cm*47cm, port 10cm dia * 8cm long.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
adam2a3
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
160l box ~100cm*34cm*47cm, port 10cm dia * 8cm long.

Thanks CollinR, I will give it a try keeping the CS7 crossover (low pass section). Regards, adam2a3
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal box for B139 ? Reply with quote

Motorcycle Boy wrote:
..... I learned that the Concerto's box seems to be "too small" for it to deliver the best it can. In stead of 62 L it should have something around 150 L Shocked

That is just the small signal frequency response. Don't forget to consider the large signal requirements. If you want X dB spl at 20Hz then you have to be able to shift Y cc of air, otherwise the B139 will just be hitting the end stops when you drive it with a big amplifier in a big box.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtly and elegantly put, some other aspects to consider to be found here:

http://www.klippel.de/uploads/media/Assessing_the_large_Signal_performance_of_Loudspeakers_03.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: