SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF center channel (off the shelf) for a 5.1 system?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: KEF center channel (off the shelf) for a 5.1 system? Reply with quote

Not DIY but something off the shelf. Smile

I have Calindas in front and Chorale in the rear and they sound wonderful. But the center that I am using is a Focal/JMLab - chorus. Does not quite match! The tweeter is metallic, too.

If I had any T27 spares I might be tempted to swap out the tweeter and go from there even thought they are no where near the same size. But I have a saw. Cool

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comments or ideas? A tough one for sure.

Perhaps I should be searching for a single speaker who's mate is destroyed, build a horizontal, center speaker and use the drivers and crossovers.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was using 104aB's as my front speakers in an HT set up (no sub-woofer needed so not 5.1) I had a cheap soft domed KEF center speaker from the 1990's Coda series that mated very well.
It lacked the best dialogue clarity but was substantially better for the purpose than R.101's, Corelli's or any other single vintage KEF I'd tried.
The problems I'd found with trying to use non-CC designs was with always the lumpy off-axis response and muddy spoken voice reproduction.

When I moved to Cantata's, then R.105's, and finally IMF 80's for the front channel I decided on the uni-Q Q-10c, then later the Q-50c both of which paired quite well indeed with all of those front speakers ... in spite of their metal domes.
I know it seems odd given the wide tonal differences between the 105's, Cantata's & IMF's, but really it works out well.
The relatively low cost of these Q CC's makes the trial and error process of cobbling together bits & pieces a bit redundant IMHO.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know the answer. Find another pair of Calindas for the rears and use one Choral for the center. Or if I find a pair (or one) Chorale, use that for the center!

The hunt is on! Cool

Wish I had picked up those Calindas that I saw years ago.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: KEF center channel (off the shelf) for a 5.1 system? Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
Not DIY but something off the shelf. Smile I have Calindas in front and Chorale in the rear and they sound wonderful. But the center that I am using is a Focal/JMLab - chorus. Does not quite match! The tweeter is metallic, too. If I had any T27 spares I might be tempted to swap out the tweeter and go from there even thought they are no where near the same size. But I have a saw. 8)Any ideas? Thanks!

I’d not recommend that route, you do not know as to what the interaction between crossover and tweeter from another manufacturer will produce; have you the ‘Thiel Small’ parameters for both tweeter & also crossover schematics?
I find that with age my preference is for a brighter centre loudspeaker, if you are younger younger and still with a good hearing response in the HF then I see your point… good luck with your quest!
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Proffski. I want to match the tonality of the speakers - nothing sounds like a T27! Very Happy

Right now there is a metallic tweeter and it simply does not blend well with the T27s. But your comment "interaction between crossover and tweeter" raises the specter of potentially damaging the T27 especially at louder volumes.

I'll kill that idea. Just for safety's sake!

Thanks again!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
Thanks, Proffski. I want to match the tonality of the speakers - nothing sounds like a T27! Very Happy

Right now there is a metallic tweeter and it simply does not blend well with the T27s. But your comment "interaction between crossover and tweeter" raises the specter of potentially damaging the T27 especially at louder volumes.

I'll kill that idea. Just for safety's sake!

Thanks again!

Do you know as to which 'order' crossover the HF section is in the centre loudspeaker and the rollover frequency?
If not and if I have the time I'll try to find out
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea but all my T27s are safely tucked into KEF speakers and I really don't want to take one apart. But thanks for the offer. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Home cinema All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: