SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rebuilding a pair of Kef 105 Mk I's T52 Replacement ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m.elmslie
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding a pair of Kef 105 Mk I's T52 Replacement ? Reply with quote

Hi,This is my first post on here as a new member.Although new to here i'm not a Kef newbie.Ten years ago I bought a very rough set of Kefkit 3's and rebuilt them into my own cabinets complete with an off board upgraded crossover supplied by Falcon Acoustics.They've amazed me ever since and i've yet to hear anything that comes close.
Recently a friend gifted me his knackered 105's He aquired them,off freecycle of all places,a year ago intending to do them up himself.Now however he and his family have decided to emigrate to Australia.
So far i've manage to pull all the pushed in cones out using some blu tack and the hoover but i need to find a t52 sp1049 as one was missing and had been replaced with what looks like a maplins special!
They seem to be few and far between even on ebay!So my question to the experts on this forum is what would be a suitable replacement and what would i have to change on the crossover to say substitute t27's in place of the t52's.I have no knowledge of electronics,when I bought the crossover from Falcon a very nice man there drew me a laymans drawing of what wire went where to effectively build a biwired crossover!So words of one sylible and lots of pictures would be very welcome.
Hope somebody can help me out.

Regards
Martin [/img]
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Re your 105s, there's nothing close to a T52 in response or impedance as far as I know. The T52 was sold separately for Constructor Series so some may come up on eBay eventually. Other than that, maybe a letter to Father Christmas.......
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They seem to be few and far between even on ebay

A pair were sold yesterday for £70, so keep your eyes open!

Quote:
what would be a suitable replacement

Nowt!

Quote:
and what would i have to change on the crossover to say substitute t27's in place of the t52's.

You wouldn't, as time aligned speakers have all voice coils in a single plane. i.e. drastic woodworking would be required.

Quote:
I have no knowledge of electronics

Ouch.

Quote:
when I bought the crossover from Falcon a very nice man there drew me a laymans drawing of what wire went where to effectively build a biwired crossover! So words of one sylible and lots of pictures would be very welcome

Unless there is a speaker designer nearby who will trade technical help for a large quantity of single malt you'll just have to wait for what turns up on sleezeBay.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru
Quote:
The T52 was sold separately for Constructor Series

That was the SP1072 as an alternative to the SP1049 with a faceplate.

Although both appeared in the Ref 105-2 I'm not sure about the mounting holes in the Ref 105.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
That was the SP1072 as an alternative to the SP1049 with a faceplate.

Although both appeared in the Ref 105-2 I'm not sure about the mounting holes in the Ref 105.

Embarassed Oops I forgot about that. You might feel brave enough to mod the head cabinet though. Much more do-able than a blind crossover re-design.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need the SP1039 with the circular faceplate and circumference top and bottom cut across to a straight line.

T27 would be a mistake and needs a crossover redesign, much lower power handling and woodworking. I would put an email trigger search into eprey and have some patience. If you can get them working to spec again it will certainly be worth it. Good luck.
m.elmslie
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Many thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers lads.Guess i'll just have to be patient and hope one comes up on fleabay or even better a matched pair.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the T52 sp1072?.
I thought the 2 versions were identical in response, but now I'm not exactly certain, and of course the faceplate is & mounting holes are different.
Can anyone comment as to whether the 105's can be modified to accept the sp1072's?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Hint, hint, there are two Ref 105-2 crossover schematics on this site, one is for SP1049 the other is for the __________ (fill in blank space), with a rerun of the target function for the whole design.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O. Chef wrote:
I thought the 2 versions were identical in response, but now I'm not exactly certain......

SP1049, SP1072; The moving parts, alnico magnet and centre pole are identical. Only the outer magnet return path and top/mounting plate are different. Reasons for the change were elimination of costly deep forged pot and turned top plate, plus, compatability with T33 mounting plate.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have 2 pairs of "Not Constructor Series" sp1072's sitting on my desk, 1 pair of which tests beautifully matched.
So I'll see if I can't help our new friend get up & running properly. Glad I saved them.
m.elmslie
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the offer Reply with quote

Thanks to T.O.Chef for his kind offer but costs involved importing from canada just a wee bit to much for me at this present time.
Anyway thought i'd post a couple of pics of the 105's in their original condition as i was given them.Hopefully as work goes on i'll be able to add to the set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74103645@N05/sets/72157628830208307/
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear! great original tweeter mod Mad
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
Oh Dear! great original tweeter mod Mad

Aargh, I hate seeing this sort of torture!
Paper cone tweeters... Twisted Evil
m.elmslie
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have heard it !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: