SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B110 replacements/recones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horace
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: B110 replacements/recones Reply with quote

Hi

My first post on this forum.

Greetings from Aberdeenshire.

Hoping that some kind soul might be willing to give me some advice with the following:

I have a pair of Linn Isobariks (circa 1980). The B110s mounted horizontally in the top of the speakers have been exposed to a great deal of sunlight over the last twenty-odd years and have begun to sag quite noticeably as gravity takes its toll. Furthermore, the rubber now looks matted and rather sad. They seem to sound OK, but I'd like to get hold of a replacement pair or maybe have them reconed.

Does anyone know if the Monacor units (SPH135?) currently available really are a good B110 replacement?
What about reconing - Is it worth the money and if so who does a good job?

Used B110s seems to be a good business to be in right now - but not if you're buying - ouch, look at those prices!

Many thanks for your time

horace (AKA Martin, in sunny Scotland - praying for rain before the well runs dry).
________
[URL=http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_(third_generation)]Honda civic (third generation) history[/URL]

Last edited by horace on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: B110 replacements/recones Reply with quote

horace wrote:
Hi

My first post on this forum.

Greetings from Aberdeenshire.

Hoping that some kind soul might be willing to give me some advice with the following:

I have a pair of Linn Isobariks (circa 1980). The B110s mounted horizontally in the top of the speakers have been exposed to a great deal of sunlight over the last twenty-odd years and have begun to sag quite noticeably as gravity takes its toll. Furthermore, the rubber now looks matted and rather sad. They seem to sound OK, but I'd like to get hold of a replacement pair or maybe have them reconed.

Does anyone know if the Monacor units (SPH135?) currently available really are a good B110 replacement?
What about reconing - Is it worth the money and if so who does a good job?

Used B110s seems to be a good business to be in right now - but not if you're buying - ouch, look at those prices!

Many thanks for your time

horace (AKA Martin, in sunny Scotland - praying for rain before the well runs dry).

Horace

Welcome to the Forum. Are you in rural Aberdenshire or in the big city of Aberdeen?

You lucky man having Isobariks. I certainly would not consider doing other than replacing the B110s with B110s whatever Wilmslow might say.

Yes of course you will be able to get them reconed but at approx £45 per drive unit I suspect that you would be better to buy a good pair from eBay. There is someone offering drive units just now from NZ on this Forum (Rojacks). Postage is relatively cheap from NZ to the UK and so that would also be an option. The other problem with reconing is that I am not convinced that you would then have two B110s to match the horizontally firing pair.

The Pink Fish Forum has quite a bit of information in the FAQ section at the moment. Lots of Isobarik fans inhabit that Forum and so you are also likely to get help there.

I have a couple of spare pairs of B110s but like you said I paid far too much for them (£92.09 incl postage for the last pair). If you are stuck I could let you have them for what I paid but I would prefer to hold on to them at the moment for projects planned. I saw a couple of pairs on sale in eBay last week - sold for £70-£80 the pair.

Terry - also from the NE
horace
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Thanks Terry Reply with quote

You have confirmed my suspicions.
I'll look out for some used B110s.

I am in Ythanbank (near Ellon). Are you nearby?

Thanks again for the advice.

Martin
________
Herbalaire Vaporizer

Last edited by horace on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin
I live in Bridge of Don.
If I can be of help let me know.
Terry
horace
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Thanks again Terry Reply with quote

Yes, Isobariks are wonderful - by far the best speakers I have owned. Shame they're so UGLY - my wife is a designer and hates the look of the briks with a passion. But she does love their sound.
Anyone who thinks LS35As are insensitive or hard to drive ought to pity the poor brik owner. These beasties eat amps for breakfast! My LK280 is rated at 80wpc into 8 ohms / 160wpc into 4 ohms - just about enough!
I won't ever part with mine - unless I get an offer on a later pair with external xovers.
Funnily enough, I bought my briks about 6 months ago from a guy in Fraserburgh. He had them in a room that was barely 8 foot square. they sounded horrible, but four new (used) tweeters later, bliss.
I've never heard a speaker drive a big room quite as well. Oh, and they go LOUD without strain or nastiness. And that BASS. Lovely.

Just about perfect.
And when I die, my wife can put one on top of the other and bury me in the resulting coffin!

Anyway, back to work.

Thanks
Martin
PS - Terry, your offer of help is most welcome. I've been planning to build a subwoofer. I can manage the woodwork, but the rest is a mystery to me. May I drop you a line for some pointers when I get round to starting the project?
I want something to give some real oomph to my surround setup. don't think the briks need any help with music!
Do you know of any good websites with plans for good subs that go very low and aren't too hard to build?

Thanks

Martin
________
CHRYSLER EXECUTIVE SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by horace on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin

Thanks for reply. It is strange that some people find Briks ugly. I find them reassuringly solid and 'handsome'. Very Happy Fashion is fickle! I drift very reluctantly and slowly with changing fashions. People can be persuaded by advertising that almost anything is beautiful or ugly (don't let your wife read this). I fully expect to have Briks some day. I will jump at the chance if a good pair becomes available locally.

I am sure you have seen Dave Dlugos' site at http://www.t-linespeakers.org/. Lots of interesting stuff there including coffin subwoofer design. I have recently been communicating also with someone from Holland who has built a 'coffin' subwoofer with two B139s. He has sent me a few photos which I hope to put up on the website. Also I have had some correspondence recently with someone born in Edinburgh but who has lived in Australia all his life. He has built some nice subwoofers again with B139s as far as I remember. I have photos of them as well. There are also Forums or discussion groups dedicated to subwoofer building. Lots of advice there I suspect. There are also a few contributors to this Forum who have considerable experience in this area. Let's see if we can persuade them to surface to provide advice.

If I can help in some small way I will of course do so. I will be delighted to hear from you again.

Terry
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
Indeed, only use genuine B110s for your lovely Isbariks. I have had two pairs reconed by different agencies, they have both done a great job. Sadly the B110s measure different and sound different, very much so on solo voice. Get yourself genuine KEF units in good condition and enjoy the 'Briks'... Wink As has been said, amazing bass which is REAL, you luck man you!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: B110 replacements/recones Reply with quote

Terry Is quite correct on this matter, he knows his speakers!
The Monacor is a damned fine unit, but still does not match the transient response of either B110 derivatives. The fs is higher for starters.
Reconing is a precise science, the correct cone termination is vital.
As good as some of the services are, I'd not go for that option here.
As Terry says, go for a pair of B110S from EBay. I sadly lost the sale of a pair of Isobariks from Salibury Mecca for a mere £100 many years ago. Hated myself for missing the deal ever since...
One more important point to watch out for. In many of the KEF units sold on EBay a few show signs of delamination of the dapming material from the cone itself. It is easily spotted by the milky white appearance at the start of the cone by the dust cap. BEWARE!
Once it starts delaminating there is no cure.
Again, sunlight seems to be the main culprit here.
THe damping on the Bextrene cones also varied tremendously.
You have a classic pair of magnificent units, keep them that way and forget the Monacor bodge!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: