SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C 40 -how to match dividing network of FOUR equal speakers??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tincho Biedma
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: C 40 -how to match dividing network of FOUR equal speakers?? Reply with quote

hi everybody,

i just have purchase two C40, i allready have another pair from my dad. The matter is that i've discover a very noticiable diference (aparent lack) in the response of detail in the HF, of one par over the other. Also in one of the new pair, both woofers moves in a substantial "long path, loose like trajectory". Are all these issues a problem of unbalance or burnt-out in the Dividing Networks.

I'd appreciate your comments and guide

Martin
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C40 crossover consists of 5 capacitors and 2 inductors, probably a bass half section plus a treble tee section with the other capacitors hanging about to help roll off the second bass unit and a notch filter of some sort, so it's simple and not power hungry.

Larger than normal bass excursions and a loss in treble performance can usually be explained by “party time” where the voice coils have been slightly cooked (increased DC resistances) due to having been overdriven.

Crossovers are generally damaged following sustained misuse after it has occurred in the drive units.

If the best six drive units are in your dad's old speakers, take the others back and get a refund/compensation.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Tincho Biedma
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
The C40 crossover consists of 5 capacitors and 2 inductors, probably a bass half section plus a treble tee section with the other capacitors hanging about to help roll off the second bass unit and a notch filter of some sort, so it's simple and not power hungry.

Larger than normal bass excursions and a loss in treble performance can usually be explained by “party time” where the voice coils have been slightly cooked (increased DC resistances) due to having been overdriven.

Crossovers are generally damaged following sustained misuse after it has occurred in the drive units.

If the best four drive units are in your dad's old speakers, take the others back and get a refund/compensation.

ColinR, thak you very much for your reply. I take all your information and knowledge, are truly teachings.

Doing some research over internet about techniques of checking good operational status of loudspeakers i´ve found this AUDIO TEST:

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/testwavs/

i will give them a prove, perhaps it throw me even more info about each one unit.

What do you think about?

Cheers
Martin
Tincho Biedma
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: C40 (restoring cuarteto) Reply with quote

People,

After made a complete test with pink noise, sweeps and concentrated listening, i've found that both T33 SP(1211) tweeters in my former C40 pair are bad; no detail and quite dull. The others two T33 SP(1211) tweeters in the new pair acquired sounds realy nice. I face a situaction were the "good" woofers are in one pair of speakers, but the "good" tweeters are in the other ones. So, i've swaped de T33 SP(1211)'s to have one pair performing like God say they should be!.

Now what? i have a remining pair of C40 with one speaker having both woofers B200 SP(1205) performing nice, but bad Tweeter on in. 
   The other speaker of this par with all units bad: two woofers B200 SP(1205) with larger than normal excursions, an apreciated scrape like sound when 20Hz fixed tone applies in one unit; plus the T33 SP(1211) tweeter on it with dull performance.
A NOTE APART: i remember peeling off the "golden paint" that coats the surface of the dome, a cup of years ago. It was almost all flaked. Recently i've read over there that certain types of Tweeters utilizes ferrofluid, and could be prone to dry. Is this a possible cause of it's bad performance???
  May i "refill" these tweeters with that ferrofluid? and try to recover it? Its a DIY procedure or only for pros?

I've allready purchase a pair of these tweeters in good working conditions (states) to a persona on eBay. It's caming to south!!! But i wonder if i can achive the restoration task and not ends up in the trash.

I'm expecting your comments and guide fellas.
Thanks
Martin
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
T33 SP(1211)
Conventional unit made by Panasonic, no ferrofluid, your below par ones are partially blown so treat them as scrap.

Regarding your woofers they need their voice coils rebuilt, so who recones speakers in your neck of the woods?
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Tincho Biedma
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: reciling Reply with quote

ColinR, interesting information.
About woofers rebuild, i'm in contact with a guy here in Buenos Aires and with Van L. Speakerworks at Chicago, USA: http://www.vanlspeakerworks.com/repairs.htm

i woonder if exists some KEF house-person specialized in this kind of woofer recoil job in USA. Do you know anyone else?

Best regards
Martin
chris
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tincho Biedma wrote:
ColinR wrote:

If the best four drive units are in your dad's old speakers, take the others back and get a refund/compensation.

ColinR, thak you very much for your reply. I take all your information and knowledge, are truly teachings.

Doing some research over internet about techniques of checking good operational status of loudspeakers i´ve found this AUDIO TEST:

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/testwavs/

i will give them a prove, perhaps it throw me even more info about each one unit.

What do you think about?

Cheers
Martin

Hello Martin,

Thank you for providing us a link for testing speakers. Yet, it doesn't look like it's still working. Could you / someone please update it?

THank you!
CHris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: