SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

detoriated cloth surround

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: detoriated cloth surround Reply with quote

I bought pair of 12" JBL 123A-1 woofers from early 70´s. Both units are in reasonably good condition.

When measuring fs, it was apparent that one unit has maybe 5-10 hz lower resonance than the other unit and Q of resonance is also much higher. Cloth surround of the other unit seems to be perfect. Surround of the unit in question looks OK from back, but front side of the surround seems somehow dried and worn out from accordion highs and lows. Both spiders look quite alike.

Serial numbers of woofers are close ea other and cone numbers are correct fo 123A-1. So... it somehow seems that other unit has been reconed later with original reconekit. Only aftermarket recone kits are available now. Even if original ones should exist, it would probably be wiser to recone both units.

As there is not too much to loose, I figured that I should try to patch worn out surround. From Lancing heritage pages I found out that new water based surround dopes are not compatible with dopes used in 70`s. It came to my mind that Edelbrocks gasket glue (I suppose trade name is something like Gasgainch) can be used for dressing automotive drive belts, so it should be quite flexible.. Or does anybody have any better ideas for cloth surround refurbishing? Have I figured correctly that adding layer of dope to surround of woofer will make suspension stiffer and raise fs and make Q lower?

Best Regards

Kimmo
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like shock sled silicone damping for radio controlled cars to damp lift/lower deices or dampers on tone arms, you should be able to source some cellulose dope from model plane/glider enthusiast sources, do a Google.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: