SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loudspeaker Technology & Innovation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thierry
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First appearance of the Philips RH532 was in 1973.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry wrote:

Time flies, in those days Philips did a country tour, at least in colleges etc.
It must have been about that time when I heard them in Cheltenham, then came the Laser Disc that too was demonstrated to an eager audience. We used Philips drivers in a few projects as well.
Thierry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
Thierry wrote:

Time flies, in those days Philips did a country tour, at least in colleges etc.
It must have been about that time when I heard them in Cheltenham, then came the Laser Disc that too was demonstrated to an eager audience. We used Philips drivers in a few projects as well.

So true, sometimes I feel like I was a hundred years ... bought my first Philips compact disc player in 1983, along with my first CD. I still remember my fascination when I first hold the glittering little disc Shocked
It was Peer Gynt, from Grieg. A Philips record of course.
Make you feel an old fart when you tell such stories to young people.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame that the CD is flawed but hey ho.
Sorry if I was not making myself clear, I was referring to the Video Laser Disc!

The first CD I heard was on a Hitachi player, dreadful!
It was a while before I meandered away from my Thorens, SME and Ortofon MC20 cartridge.. as with most of my past decisions I regret to this very day!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Putting amplifiers with all the control circuitry makes total sense to me, or at least having the amplifiers as close to the loudspeakers as possible with electronic crossovers. With todays technology and a plethora of sensors and transducers I see no reason as to why at least the bass drivers do not use MF more often. People are set in their ways and the extra cost is not apparent as an advantage in the long term.

With so many people happy with MP3, DAB (Diabolical Audio Broadcasting) and the infernal iPod docks true Hi-Fi comes a poor second.

At least I still go to regular classical concerts for enjoyment and a "reference" and dream of having a couple pairs of Quad 2905s driven my the mighty goliath MF 1KW amplifiers like my friend up the road as my 2nd best reference...
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Thierry ... 1973 ! When I wrote "early 80's" a part of me thought "1975" but I thought I must be wrong ! My memory was working but my logical brain kicked it into touch !

I recall it well. At the time, I was living In Bedford and Tavistock Hifi held a "proper" show/demo at the county hotel. Included were Leak Sandwich speakers ( the huge ones) an ADC graphic equaliser and a whole heap of turntables

We even had a good lecture from Dolby labs on a new noise reduction system. This was followed by a competitive demo by dBX (remember that ?)

It was at this demo that I heard the MFB's. I loved them ! The Leaks were also interesting but so stratospheric that I didn't bother listening too hard (I was 11 after all ).

Crikey .... Where does the time go ?

Returned home today after ~3 weeks away and fired up the KEF's. goodness me, they do sound good !
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly do remember DBX and it can be absolutely awesome, the chap with the large TDLs still has his as well as the records, pictures to follow.

A fantastic idea which sadly never caught on but needed obviously a great system with a massive dynamic range to utilise the full potential.

One of my colleagues at the college had the big Leak Sandwich loudspeakers, the design used later in the Leak 2075s; well at least the bass was good! http://tinyurl.com/ckboy4t
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I do remember (but not sure of how it came to be) was that the midrange system unit was identical to my older brothers Linton 3XP's - the ones with holes in the cone designed by laser !

What was the Leak / Wharfedale connection apart from the same owner ? (Rank)
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they sounded just as bad even with the design promising less cone breakup! I hated the tweeters from that era from the manufacturers you mention, ghastly!
The links are strong and many, more tomorrow as now the AV systems beckons as does the wine. If you cannot wait try Wickipedia! I enjoyed this session, thanks! Very Happy
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shout on the AV. Have done my wine and just chilling. Speaking of av, have seen Prometheus 5 times on various flights (Japan, Dubai, US) and reckon this will be a stunner on BD !

Cannot wait.

Have fun. Tomorrow is strictly 2.0 until Jack Bauer graces the screen later in the evening !
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped for quick interlude, I have pre-ordered the BluRay film on Amazon.
I no longer visit cinemas, they are more like eating emporia for automatons who all seem eat 20kg of popcorn with their mouths open.

On Sunday I have yet again Christina Ortiz playing Chopin and Songs of the Auvergne or if you must, Chants d'Auvergne with a couple of my favorite ladies. Anyway there is a danger of this thread deteriorating to "What you listening to" category like found on many forums, something I detest with a passion like I do idiots!

Time for a refill and back to the filum, nighty night all earwiggers!
Thierry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
I truly do remember DBX and it can be absolutely awesome, the chap with the large TDLs still has his as well as the records, pictures to follow.

A fantastic idea which sadly never caught on but needed obviously a great system with a massive dynamic range to utilise the full potential.

One of my colleagues at the college had the big Leak Sandwich loudspeakers, the design used later in the Leak 2075s; well at least the bass was good! http://tinyurl.com/ckboy4t

Ah yes, DBX. I have a passion for tape recorders. Among my collection ( http://dcx2496.fr/vintage_4.php ) is a TEAC X2000-R fitted with a DBX encoding/decoding engine.
Although this machine is not to be compared with any Studer or Revox on the mechanical aspect and durability I must say that the audio performance is remarquable.
Signal to noise ratio is just amazing, the dbx system allows for a stunning 100dB and dynamic capabilities which only CD can surpass.
A major issue is that you can only playback tapes recorded on the very same system, which restricts usage to home audio.
Here's the machine (photo from the web, I havent put pictures of my example online yet) http://www.audioscope.net/teac-2000-black-newnos-pi-682.html?image=0&osCsid=f4f25112bb45a16d90a7e00d33f7c7d5
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the theoretical limit of CD may be 100db, but most popular music is so compressed that the real dynamic range or dynamic contrast is a lot less than that of a humble LP.
How some people can use their favourite noise in judging and buying Hi-Fi beats me.
DBX properly set up to the equipment as you say is awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: