SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105/3 room positioning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: 105/3 room positioning Reply with quote

Given (according to experts) that with cavity coupled bass, the entire bass output comes from the huge port at the front, I wondered if these speakers are less sensitive to room positioning. In most speakers if you stick them in the corners, the bass is augmented but I'm wondering what happens with this speaker ?

Thoughts , experience.... All welcome

Cheers
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 105/3 room positioning Reply with quote

From experience different loudspeakers seem to load or react to rooms in a dissimilar manner depending on their design, IB, TL, Reflex... I can argue against but my ears always say otherwise. Always placed in the same position in the room.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 105/3 room positioning Reply with quote

clubsport911 wrote:
Given (according to experts) that with cavity coupled bass, the entire bass output comes from the huge port at the front, I wondered if these speakers are less sensitive to room positioning. In most speakers if you stick them in the corners, the bass is augmented but I'm wondering what happens with this speaker ? Thoughts , experience.... All welcome Cheers

You had better ask Debra!
Link: http://jamesromeyn.com/home-audio-gear/dsa-1-0-distributed-subwoofer-array-5-pieces-4k-usd/
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are kidding !
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air in the port is acting just like a driver over its output range, so I would expect it to be slightly more like an IB with a cone than a reflex which would have a much reduced bandpass I'm guessing? Corners should mess up the upper bass and low midrange in a series of peaks and troughs just like a conventional speaker?

At the end of the day take the port height as fixed dimension, and have dissimilar non-multiple dimensions to back and side walls, longest from side walls, as the starting place for listening has worked for me, always having had free space type speakers rather than ones designed for wall placement or similar.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clubsport911 wrote:
You are kidding !

I'm deadly serious about my eigentones! Smile
Link2: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/why-you-need-four-subwoofers
Garethwatkins
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at this one!
http://kenrockwell.com/audio/stereo-subwoofers.htm

Ken is renowned in the photography world for ruffling a few feathers.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with practically everything. Very Happy
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 105/3 room positioning Reply with quote

clubsport911 wrote:
Given (according to experts) that with cavity coupled bass, the entire bass output comes from the huge port at the front, I wondered if these speakers are less sensitive to room positioning. In most speakers if you stick them in the corners, the bass is augmented but I'm wondering what happens with this speaker ?

Thoughts , experience.... All welcome

Cheers

Food for thought?
Link: http://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-124
Makes an interesting read and reiterates my previous comments made nearby...
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great read.

But the question remains.... Why then, when budget had no influence at all, did KEF choose to use the reflex system for the Blades.?

With modern techniques and software backed up by all the experience of KEF, they could have done anything but still they chose to drill 2 dirty great holes in the back of the cabinet to let the bass out

I agree... Quantity is not everything and I'm thrilled at the sound of cavity bass along with its accuracy and speed
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! I agree! There are always exceptions to the rule... I was being very mischievous and playing devil’s advocate. Smile

For example, to my ears most of the Spendor range of loudspeakers lack the characteristics of the reflex enclosure. (Helmholtz Resonators).
ATC even more so, and the mighty Wilson Maxx family, Sonus Faber and so many others. I do not agree with all what the article says, especially the concluding paragraphs.

I love the immediacy of the KEF band-pass range of designs, the ones which have passed through my household are truly memorable and I can be a fussy old git!

A point I will; always make is the vital significance of a “reference” and I do not mean amplified music or any sort, or recorded music. Regular visits to concerts at many venues are of paramount importance.

The sound of a grand piano will always sound different if on a solid floor or a wooded suspended stage, the double bass, a kick drum. A bassoon, a large cathedral organ will sound different for many reasons, take Worcester and Gloucester cathedrals, Tewkesbury abbey? Or does one travel to the Royal Festival Hall in order to hear Boëllmann’s Suite gothique and Saint-Saens organ symphony? All of them!!!

Not until a reference has been established and regular cleaning of the cobwebs ensured by regular visits there is no way of knowing as to which provides the nearest approach to the real thing. Then the all-important room acoustics step in and ruin it all, most definitely a big variable and some loudspeakers just will not be happy in some rooms. Some amplifiers are unhappy driving difficult loudspeakers, and so on.

At Bristol I must say that the most gob smackingly impressive loudspeakers I heard were the mighty PMCs, yet the most accurate to my ears were without doubt the large QUAD electrostatics. Now go and get your head around that one, I’m still trying. Confused
steve59
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the 105/3 to need more room from reflections from side walls but that cost some needed bass reinforcement. I've read reviews where the writer places them close 12" from the corner and then toe in so the speakers point cross in front of the listening seat. I put acouctic tiles on my 7' ceiling and hung a 4x8' throw rug on the near side wall and love the results. Not all speakers will benefit from so much damping tho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: