SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 105 Project Nearly Complete...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Innercity126
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: KEF 105 Project Nearly Complete... Reply with quote

What began as a simple refinishing job quickly turned into a complete rebuild. Nothing on the pair has gone untouched. The 105's are worthy of the utmost care and consideration, so that’s what I gave them. Here is a pic of one of the completed heads. I just have to re-veneer the bass cabinets and put a finish on them, and reassemble everything. Hopefully, I can have them completed before Christmas.

[img][/img]
Thierry
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bass cabinets are up to the perfection you achieved with the heads, your 105s will definitely look spanking new !

It is always comforting to see beautiful loudspeakers like the 105 being pampered like this.

Congratulations for this impressive detailing work.

Thierry
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

Sorry to be picky but the originals had the mesh grilles rotated by 90 deg. It hit me in the eye that something was wrong but I couldn't think what for quite a while before I got it.
Innercity126

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry wrote:
If the bass cabinets are up to the perfection you achieved with the heads, your 105s will definitely look spanking new !

It is always comforting to see beautiful loudspeakers like the 105 being pampered like this.

Thierry

Hi Thierry,

Thank you for the kind words. I sincerely appreciate it.

William
Thierry
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innercity126 wrote:
Thierry wrote:

Thierry

Hi Thierry,

Thank you for the kind words. I sincerely appreciate it.

William

Now that I've read Speakerguru comment above I can explain the slight discomfort I had watching the picture. That's funny how sometimes it takes a while to realize there is something wrong and you can't tell what it is Wink

You just have to turn the meshes 90° and it'll be spot on. Again : beautiful job.

Could you please let us know which paint you sprayed on the heads ? They look so much the right color !

Thierry
Innercity126

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
Very nice.

Sorry to be picky but the originals had the mesh grilles rotated by 90 deg. It hit me in the eye that something was wrong but I couldn't think what for quite a while before I got it.

Hi Speakerguru,

Not picky, just very observant. I tried them both ways, but on these particular heads they seemed to fit better this way. Thanks.

William
Innercity126

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry wrote... "Could you please let us know which paint you sprayed on the heads ? They look so much the right color !"

Yes, I'd be more than happy to. The product is Krylon "Fusion" Hammered Finish Black. The product number is: 2531.

Don't be put off by the words "For Plastic" on the can. This paint is of a very high quality, sprays on even, sticks to just about anything, and looks fantastic.

I sanded the old textured finish off. Filled in any uneven spots with wood filler, resanded, and then sprayed with a light gray primer. For the final finish with the Krylon, I used 4 moderate coats to achieve the desired look.

[img][/img]
rx7rotary
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Looking Fantastic... something I went through recently Reply with quote

I have been restoring my 105s from a dump basically for a long time, thread is on AK bellow ... You are doing a wonderful job.
I am now in process of xover recap.
I wonder how did you build the protective mesh / grills?
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=349416&d=1337154180

Whole thread is here if you need any info or help feel free to get in touch.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=430179
Innercity126

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking Fantastic... something I went through recently Reply with quote

rx7rotary wrote:
I have been restoring my 105s from a dump basically for a long time, thread is on AK bellow ... You are doing a wonderful job.
I am now in process of xover recap.
I wonder how did you build the protective mesh / grills?
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=349416&d=1337154180

Whole thread is here if you need any info or help feel free to get in touch.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=430179

Thank you for your comment. And, thank you for posting the thread about your restoration project. You did an amazing job! I commend you on your diligence. Most people would have run the other way when they saw the state of those 105's, but you stuck with them and made them beautiful again. Bravo!

Mine were in a bad state, too, when I purchased them. Not quite as bad as your pair, but the saving grace to my project is that everything was there. Like you mentioned in your AK thread, the most difficult part for me was also the heads. I wanted them to look extra nice, so I took the most time with them. Yours came out wonderful, too.

Fortunately, and to answer your question, the mesh grills were already on the heads. I simply stripped them of their old paint and sprayed them with a brushed metallic gold. Finding a set is going to be a tough one, but I will keep an eye out and alert you if I find any.

William
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innercity126 wrote:
Thierry wrote... "Could you please let us know which paint you sprayed on the heads ? They look so much the right color !"

Yes, I'd be more than happy to. The product is Krylon "Fusion" Hammered Finish Black. The product number is: 2531.

Don't be put off by the words "For Plastic" on the can. This paint is of a very high quality, sprays on even, sticks to just about anything, and looks fantastic.

I sanded the old textured finish off. Filled in any uneven spots with wood filler, resanded, and then sprayed with a light gray primer. For the final finish with the Krylon, I used 4 moderate coats to achieve the desired look.

[img][/img]

This is not available in the UK but for some KEF CS7s I helped build we used a similar product by the name of Hammerite. THe chap chose dark grey, when they dried it looked as if they had been hewn from a solid block of metal and worth at least a $1000,000. The secret was all in absolute meticulous preperation of the surfaces prior to painting.
Innercity126

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
Innercity126 wrote:

[img][/img]

This is not available in the UK but for some KEF CS7s I helped build we used a similar product by the name of Hammerite. THe chap chose dark grey, when they dried it looked as if they had been hewn from a solid block of metal and worth at least a $1000,000. The secret was all in absolute meticulous preperation of the surfaces prior to painting.

Well, that's not right. Hammerite is available in the USA. I wonder if the Krylon spray can be purchased on-line and shipped to the UK and elsewhere? I would like to think so, but I'm not sure. Nevertheless, Hammerite is a great product and should yield similar results to the Krylon.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really lovely job, they look better than mine, I just splashed some paint on many years ago. Here's a pic to see what they look like when finished.
Innercity126

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
Really lovely job, they look better than mine, I just splashed some paint on many years ago. Here's a pic to see what they look like when finished.

Nothing wrong with those; in fact, they look pretty good. Thanks for your comment, BTW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: