SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colin Royle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Obituaries, Tributes and Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allanson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Colin Royle Reply with quote

We greatly regret to announce the sad passing of Colin Royle on 20 December 2012, a true steadfast friend and fellow enthusiast. His wit, intelligence and immense knowledge on all things hifi, especially KEF, will never cease to amaze us, and he will be greatly missed. (Gary Wood, Jerry Bloomfield, Terry Allan)
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know Colin personally but have always enjoyed his posts, his wit, his knowledge and his enthusiasm, RIP Colin.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very sad news indeed, reading his many posts his knowledge will be sorely missed. The man was a fountain of information. RIP.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great loss to his family and the Hi-Fi community.
Tragic...
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly sad news. He will be missed by his family and us all.
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Colin Reply with quote

Even I did not know Colin personally, I can say that his contribution to this site has been considerable and Colin´s death is tragic loss to this community.

It would be nice, if somebody who knew Colin better, can inform us fellow members how and when Colin got involved in audio and maybe about his other interests too. Few words about his preferences would also be nice.

RIP Colin

Kimmo Salminen
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such sad news. People like Colin (and indeed, Colin) are like solid anchors in a place like this forum.

What I hope, is that somehow all that vast wisdom can be treasured and preserved as a fitting memorial.

In our "iLife" era, someone like him was a real beacon of reason and like others, whilst i did know or meet him, have the utmost respect for him and what he stood for.

This is a sad loss.

Steve

Last edited by clubsport911 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no words. I'm shocked. I can't believe it.

Colin's one of the Good Guys here. When someone is honoured and respected on a simple internet forum, you know it's just a reflection of his real life self.

Deepest condolences to his friends and family.

Words are just so inadequate at a time like this.

Rest in peace.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: My Friend & Mentor Reply with quote

It was Colin who introduced me to this forum. Our meeting was somewhat accidental, on line, and outside of the forum.
Although a novice with little understanding of how things work I was a long time KEF fan with a thirst for knowledge and was reaching out to expand my understanding. He took me under his wing so to speak, showed me great patience, and over the few years taught me a great deal.
He personally helped me in so many ways I can't begin to list them all here, not only through his posts that were so amusing, sharp witted, and at times quite testy. He also was always there for me by EM to answer questions, give advise, and share enthusiasm. Never did any question posed go unanswered. He shared freely and without reserve. He was generous with his time and shared "bits" as well as bytes.

This forum, the audio community at large, indeed the world has lost a great man. Irreplaceable.
This news of his passing leaves me deeply saddened.
He will be missed.
God Bless you Colin. Sir.

Robert Malcolm. Toronto, Canada
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condolences to the family. He will be missed here on the forum.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tremendous loss for his family and for us here on this forum.
I learned a lot from his answers to my questions.
May he rest in peace.
John S
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Colin on a couple of occasions, whether it was his wit, his knowledge, his stories, his outlook, I don't know, but we 'hit it off'.
I was extremely saddened to read of his passing.
Like an old friend, he was always there and although we may not have been in touch for a year or so, we soon picked up the pieces where we had left off in our previous conversation, frequently nonsensical.
A very sad loss.

I would like to offer my sincere condolences to his family.
andre
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bob in out this forum, not been here for a while. And now very saddened to read of the loss of Colin. Met him about 4 times, a funny intelligent and eccentric (in a good way) guy. Condolences to his family. RIP Colin.
Walter Wallpaper
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only reg'd after his passing but reading his posts and replies he was the KEF guru and it will take a brilliant KEF enthusiast to replace him.

RIP to a legend.
Stuart Booth
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Eccentric Genius Reply with quote

I had known Colin for 4/5 yrs and have spent many hours chatting laughing emailing. He was a man of great wit and intellect and helped me with my set up, always ready to donate his time and knowledge and occasionally his bits and pieces in exchange for "a ploughman's or a steak at my local hostelry" I learnt lots from Colin - didn't we all, but like many a good teacher he always made me think it through myself where possible. He last visited me back in October when he fitted Type 53 crossovers (the Dogs B.........) to my Wilmslow R50's - Oh yes Colin introduced me to TL's via the Chris Rogers Pro 9, which again he passed to me for the price of a couple of B139s. I could go on with examples of his generosity, but those of you who had been touched by him already know this. To say RIP for Colin seems so inappropriate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Obituaries, Tributes and Memories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: