SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef Cadenza's sp1019 dn14 crossover high tone problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elegantly put Colin!
I'd be very tempted to use decent non electrolytic capacitors as well.
Expensive but worth it. Try Falcon Acoustics and Wilmslow Audio for starters.
Again not so important in the Bass section, any non polarised electrolytic after 20 or so years will indeed be very suspect. I hate the damned things... Andy.
Tinus74
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already had contact with Falcon end they can send me the caps I need (see post above).
But...the guy is on a holiday right now, so had to wait for costs-specs etc.

Quote:

Air core inductors saturate less easily, are more linear and have greater power handling capacity.

Sonically those who have modified the Ref 104 weren't impressed (do a "google" on newsgroups) as they gained nothing apart from an empty wallet.

The Cadenza may be the same

So, as I understand it correctly, one can't say for sure that my Cadenza's will benefit from the air-core inductors.
Suppose I won't use those air-coils; is it advisable to replace the current coils for new ones or, as the electro-shop guy told me, can I leave them because the decay of those coils are minimal over the years?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coils don't decay, but they do burn out if your amplifier drops it's power transistors or you loose an output transformer, so leave them alone unless you're going to be driving the "fixed" Cadenzas with a pair of bridged Amcron DC-300As or something larger Cool .
Wouter
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, as I understand it correctly, one can't say for sure that my Cadenza's will benefit from the air-core inductors.

I don't know exactly the final resultof the replacement of the cores for the Cadenza .
As I maybe said before, I did change all cores and electrolytes for my Concerto's and the results are amazing.
But like Colin said, the result for the B200 variants may be a little disappointing (for the money!)... The Cadenza has a totally different approach (2-way, B200, ABR,...) as my self-made Concerto's (3-way, B139, closed box,...)
First change the capacitors and check if the speakers are working for 100% after the change. Afterwards you can maybe do a test with the air cores and/or MKP capacitors....
Curiosity is the beginning of wisdom!

But I won't spend my money for ferrite coils! This won't definitely make any great improvement...
As I remember, you still have a pair of crossovers in spare, so if you think that there is a coil in bad or non-working condition, you can easily do a replacement!
But, as Colin already stated, if handled correctly, a coil doesn't decay!

Regards,
Wouter
oplancq
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinus74 wrote:
Only the Walloons knew who Isaac Walton was. But these belgium people also think that Kef is a kind of fish.

Don't know Isaac but own 7 pairs of KEFs..and I'm Walloon...Did I do something wrong ? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: