SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF C80

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobana0
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: KEF C80 Reply with quote

I have a pair of KEF C80s that I purchased new in the 1980s. I love the old things but they have started to show their age and the tweeters (T33, SP1210, 4 ohm) are sounding particularly rough. I contacted KEF America about replacement drivers but they told me they don't make them anymore (no surprise there). I've occasionally checked out ebay, but they never seem to have what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any ideas on possible replacement tweeters? I think one midrange (B160, SP1203) might need replacement too. Amazingly enough, both woofers (B139, SP1212) seem fine.

I also emailed KEF UK about obtaining a schematic of the crossover (figuring that I might upgrade some components while I had the speakers open), but they never responded. Does anyone know where I can get this information as well?

Thanks.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For T33mkII rebuilds look for someone who also does AR tweeters so that they at the very least know about ferrofluid "drying out".

A Bozak repairer in upstate NY may be able to shim your midrange - so do a Google.

There are lots of speaker reconers in the "yellow pages" of New York, Oregon, Iowa, Florida and California - Idea

Regarding your enquiry on diyaudio.com about Isophon KK10's, a pair of KK8's out of Monitor Audio MA4 or 5's would do the same job - same driver with a square faceplate. The frequency response is similar to that of a KEF T27 - that's why Martin Colloms used it in his MA4 design Exclamation

Peerless and Morel tweeters may also work.

Don't ever ask KEF for schematics, they ain't got any anymore, they're in landfill or have been burnt - my three originals came from two sets of "drawing office" drawers sold at different auctions Cool .

Find a friend with a good LCR meter if you want to work out any loudspeaker circuits Very Happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: