SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to vintage speakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcoss
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:

No. The Elektro Union fuses speced for the T27 are marked T400/250V. "T" in German is "traag" which would be slow or anti-surge. They are glass with visible tiny springs at both ends of the fuse wire. They are not opaque ceramic HRC types.

Yeah, but those fuses are not obtainable anymore, so it is best to replace them with 400mA 250v Fast right, as i linked before and you suggested to streamz. Or what should i replace them with? I'm getting confused.

Quote:
A 400mA F (quick blow), as Colin suggested, will probably be safe but may blow quite often if you like to play loud.
Marcoss
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie wrote:
With regards to the caps i didn't test them, for what they cost I just ordered new ones here

But how did you know if they didnt leak? I can hear you put alot of love in your speakers already, wonderfull to hear and see. I wont change the speakerwire connector. Like to keep it origional. And the re-wire, where is that good for?

Anyone has any thoughts on the yamaha cr 1020 amp btw? How would they go with the 104ab's? Or can i do better?
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know, I just took the advice from this forum that kef caps that were 30 to 40 years old would probably have drifted in values and even if not would soon be. With the rewire, well it would seem silly to me to have the units apart and not put in better cables.... how much difference it made I don't know.....other than a few £'s.

I also coated the inside of the cabinets with 2mm flooring grade (stays soft -ish) epoxy resin.

The loose wadding was removed to make the ABR's work better, and it did with no noticeable loss of bass control....at least not on my concrete floors though I'm not sure that this would work so well on wooden floors.

You will notice a substantial brace supporting the rear of the B200, these shrink with age so I put in some wooden shims to re-instate the brace.

Over kill ? maybe, but I enjoyed doing it all and I think I have a really nice sounding pair of 104ab's
Marcoss
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i found the courage to replace the socket holders. As the caps of the original were missing and just coulnd find new ones. I bought 2 new socket holders and replaced them, easy fix. Though by opening the metal plate and looking at the module i saw that all the wires were soldered for a 2nd time. If you take a look at my picture you can see that aswell hopefully. Now i am wondering if ppl maybe could tell me, are the componants still original or have they been replaced?

Thierry
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcoss wrote:
Today i found the courage to replace the socket holders. As the caps of the original were missing and just coulnd find new ones. I bought 2 new socket holders and replaced them, easy fix. Though by opening the metal plate and looking at the module i saw that all the wires were soldered for a 2nd time. If you take a look at my picture you can see that aswell hopefully. Now i am wondering if ppl maybe could tell me, are the componants still original or have they been replaced?

How on earth can you tell the solder joints aren't original ? All can be seen from your pictures is some solder flux residue in some places which is quite usual.

Very nice pictures by the way.

Thierry
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry wrote:
How on earth can you tell the solder joints aren't original ? All can be seen from your pictures is some solder flux residue in some places which is quite usual.

I can confirm that KEF Production did not wash flux off the board after soldering crossovers in the period 75-99.
Marcoss
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i am still learning. Ofcourse i was not 100% sure but when i opened the metal and saw the soldering that popped in my mind. Sorry for the wrong quess! I am pleased to hear its all original, thats why i did ask you guys as i'm just a newbe here.

Thanks, and yeah, took the pics with my phone and indeed very nice ones Smile

I bought some speaker stands already, nice clean black ones. Very happy with them, 2nd hand and cheap is always good Very Happy

Only thing is a amp and pre amp. i have set my mind on philips 270+370 or the philips 280+380 if i can get my hands on those i'll be a happy man again. The future will tell i guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: