SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kef's - Kef 107's!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canuckaudioguy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: New Kef's - Kef 107's!! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Well, I can't believe this happened but, I am now the proud owner of a pair of Kef 107's, complete with KUBE, hats and original boxes!

It was only a week ago that I started looking for a pair, because I fell in love with the way my Kef 103/3's sounded, and now they are sitting here in my listening room.

How I have been able to be so lucky and fortunate, I cannot even begin to explain. I am just so happy to have these fantastic speakers! Music is a huge part of my life and for me it means a lot to be able to experience it in such high quality.

I have yet to check the bass bins for the woofers, but that is on my to do list as soon as I get home today. Last night was very late - I was up until 1am unpacking them and listening to them. Of what I heard, I think I am in for a real treat. The 103/3's were already very satisfying, and last night I could tell that the level of satisfaction has risen by a couple notches.

I may not even know yet what I am truly in for, considering these are still all original!

On the list of things to do is reflow the ferro fluid in the T33's, refoam the bass drivers, and depending on how the recap of my 104/2's go, recap the crossovers.

I sit here in awe of what has happened to me, and I simply can't wait to explore more of this wonderful sound that Kef offers.

Here's a picture for you guys that I took this morning before I left for work:

Headrush
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're getting greedy, you can't keep them all! I had the same dilemma a couple years ago when I acquired a pair of 107/2s. After refoaming the base drivers it was simply the best base I had ever heard but the mids and highs didn't didn't come close to my 105/3s which I bought to replace my 104/2s which I still loved. So there I was sitting with 3 big pairs of speakers in a room that could only accomodate 1, so what to do?

In the end I let the 104s go to a friend who loves them and sold the 107s on eBay for a good price but I'll never forget that bouncy, tuneful, powerful base which to this day I've never been able to get from the 105/3s but it's still a work in progress. I'm hoping that replacing the rubber surrounds with foam will do the trick so watch this space..

I'm thinking you will run into the same problem comparing the 104/2s to the 107s, I hope I'm wrong and that the 107s sing. Good luck Smile
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Kef's - Kef 107's!! Reply with quote

Splendid, just splendid!
My old 104 IIs are still in the family and sounding excellent, and still no sign of the dreaded foam rot...
canuckaudioguy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
Now you're getting greedy, you can't keep them all! I had the same dilemma a couple years ago when I acquired a pair of 107/2s. After refoaming the base drivers it was simply the best base I had ever heard but the mids and highs didn't didn't come close to my 105/3s which I bought to replace my 104/2s which I still loved. So there I was sitting with 3 big pairs of speakers in a room that could only accomodate 1, so what to do?

In the end I let the 104s go to a friend who loves them and sold the 107s on eBay for a good price but I'll never forget that bouncy, tuneful, powerful base which to this day I've never been able to get from the 105/3s but it's still a work in progress. I'm hoping that replacing the rubber surrounds with foam will do the trick so watch this space..

I'm thinking you will run into the same problem comparing the 104/2s to the 107s, I hope I'm wrong and that the 107s sing. Good luck Smile

Hehe I know what you mean about being greedy. I actually feel bad for having all these Kef speakers sitting here, but I've already decided the majority of them are going to new homes to be enjoyed. I'm just waiting on my parts to come in to restore the 104/2's, then they will be put up for sale. I'm keeping my big IMF's and the 107's, as well as a pair of 103/3's, and the rest are going to be sold. Maybe one of the pairs of small IMF's as well, we shall see.

I actually like the way the 103/3's sound over the 104/2's, and the 107's sound better than the 103/3's, so that pretty much resolves that. The 104/2's are really nice but can't hold a candle to the depth, soul and overall clarity of the 107's. They are really amazing speakers. Don't get me wrong, the 104/2's are really nice, but I love the sound of my 107's more. I prefer that laid back, polite approach.
vistisen
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up using the 107's for music, and my old 104/2s with the PC in my office Laughing
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that beats my friends superbly built KEF CS7 kits in his computer room!
vistisen

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
I guess that beats my friends superbly built KEF CS7 kits in his computer room!

Powering them with an Arcam FMJ A32 is probably overkill as well Twisted Evil Perhaps I should invest in a high end soundcard...
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud anybody who uses decent Hi-Fi for computer audio.
Why put up with garbage & rubbish as so many are happy to do?
Yes by all means spens as much as you can on a good Audio Card, it does pay dividends!

I even has a friend whos is running Quad ESL63s from his computer and a small MF amplifier, enough said...

Last edited by proffski on Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if your aware of this forum but there's a vast amount of digital audio information here

http://theartofsound.net/
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can see is 1s and 0s. A blight to decipher...

Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

01110011011010000110100101110100 = F-sharp Wink
vistisen

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
All I can see is 1s and 0s. A blight to decipher...

There are 10 sorts of people who understand binary, those that do and ....
canuckaudioguy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I wanted to report that I have recently done a few things to my 107s.

First thing I did was recap and upgrade the op-amps in my Kef 107 KUBE to OPA2604s. This brought about more clarity to the sound, removing muddiness and bringing the sound a bit more forward while improving the treble response.

Secondly, I reflowed the ferrofluid in the T33s and this brought about a revitalization to their sound. It was like the tweeters increased in volume, and I found this brought the balance closer to where it should be.

Thirdly, I have recapped both heads with Alcaps supplied by Falcon Acoustics and I have also done one bass cabinet so far. This brought about an important improvement to the sound, cleaning up the last of the muddiness and letting these great speakers sing like I know they should. I have one more bass cabinet to do, but the heads really need the new caps the most. However the bass is certainly more defined and cleaner on the recapped unit.

In short, I was advised to be wary of recapping these as well as doing the op-amp upgrade, but they have brought about important improvements to their sound and ultimately this is the way they should be enjoyed, not in their unrestored shape. So, if you have a set of 107s or any Kef speakers from this era, it will do you some good to perform the same work that I have done.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask Smile
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a brave man! I once had to repair a Kube which had a noisy Op-Amp on it, I managed to damage the PCB tracks and I consider myself a 1st class solderer with over forty years worth of experience. I repaired the tracks I lifted but will think twice about accepting work on a KEF Kube in the future.

I raise my hat to you and offer my congratulation on the successful upgrade. Very Happy
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a brave man! I once had to repair a Kube which had a noisy Op-Amp on it, I managed to damage the PCB tracks and I consider myself a 1st class solderer with over forty years worth of experience. I repaired the tracks I lifted but will think twice about accepting work on a KEF Kube in the future.

I raise my hat to you and offer my congratulation on the successful upgrade. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: