SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model K-2 Celeste question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fan4fan1
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Model K-2 Celeste question... Reply with quote

Anybody here owned or owns a pair of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-KEF-Speakers-MODEL-K2-Celeste-BOOKSHELF-England-Mid-Century-Modern-/271208817735?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f254e2447

Just won them on e-bay and I'm wondering what to expect. I have a vintage Heathkit AA-151 (fully restored) to pair them with.

Thanks for any comments...

John
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are well before my time at KEF so I can't say anything from personal experience. However, if they are the usual T15/B139 combo of that era I would not expect much in the way of a natural uncoloured midrange. The B139 has high Q undamped resonances above 500Hz and the T15 does not sound very good below its resonance frequency ~ 1.5kHz. That's a very large hole to fill and was the reason the B110 was soon developed.
Congratulations on picking up a piece of KEF history though.
fan4fan1
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(thought I would put this out for anybody who has an interest in the topic)

Well, I got the Celeste's hooked up and they are very nice. I see what you mean about the lack of a mid driver, though they do give a pretty good account of themselves. They remind me of a single Duette I once had. I believe it was a two way as well. I'm just amazed that 51 year old speakers can still sound as good as they do. And they're so small!

Listening to some Percy Mayfield from the late 50's right now. Also some Mel Torme earlier. I wanted to listen to a mono source for a bit to really get a sense of whether they are both in the same condition (looking for anomolies). I am noticing a bit of distortion at higher volume levels though I'm definitely not rocking them out. As I mentioned I'm driving them with a completely gone through '62 Heathkit AA-151. I would think this is a pretty good match for them.

Here's a question: Are the internal electronics (caps, etc.) something I should consider having updated? And is it possible I could find suitable replacement pieces for something so old and rare (at least here in the states). I have an amp guy whose very good at this sort of thing.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fan4fan1 wrote:
....And is it possible I could find suitable replacement pieces for something so old and rare (at least here in the states)....

Reversible electrolytic capacitors are still used in modern loudspeakers and therefore should be available. New ones will be smaller than the originals of the same value. You may have to use multiples in parallel to get the values you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: