SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kef's - Kef 107's!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canuckaudioguy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
You are a brave man! I once had to repair a Kube which had a noisy Op-Amp on it, I managed to damage the PCB tracks and I consider myself a 1st class solderer with over forty years worth of experience. I repaired the tracks I lifted but will think twice about accepting work on a KEF Kube in the future.

I raise my hat to you and offer my congratulation on the successful upgrade. Very Happy

Thanks! It actually was not as hard as I initially thought it was going to be. I was concerned the smaller solder joints were going to be tough to work with, but with the solder sucker I use (spring loaded) it allowed me to work very quickly. I used a heat of 450 F which I found perfect, it heated up the solder very fast and then I was able to get rid of it just as quickly. Having a steady hand and a nice quality iron helps too of course.

Then reflowing the new solder was very easy because it simply reflowed into the spot where the old solder was. I'm pretty inexperienced with soldering, so I don't think it's too challenging, I think you just have to be methodological about it. Either way, the cap change is pretty important. I would do that at the very least which is not as daunting as doing the KUBE upgrade. Smile
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did almost the same (Weller Soldering Iron) Solder sucker then solder wick as I suspect the sucker was partly responsible.
It was only two pads which lifted, the rest were fine, that was A Kube 200.
I vorked on another prior to that with no problems whatsoever, these days the eyesight is not what it used to be.

Happy Listening! Very Happy
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded a surface mount 8 pin for the first time ok, and the best advice I had was snip all the legs first, ditch the body, then solder suck the pins off the pads, then place the new chip and just heat the legs quickly adding no new solder. I thought if you had a really sharp set of snips, it might be the way to attack a normal IC too, just the leg remnant in the hole should suck out without too much heat on the pad? Never tried it yet on a normal though. Were the kubes before the days of surface mount?
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toyed with the idea of using high quality turned pin IC sockets, but chickened out... Sad
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing that I can do with solder is make sure I wear long pants.

Impressive, canuckaudioguy! Congratulations!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: