SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B 200 SP1188

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickS
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: B 200 SP1188 Reply with quote

Hi,
I am currently trying to repair a pair of Kef 104/2 speakers which have been neglected in someones shed (call the RSPCA....)

One of the B200 drivers has clearly had it- it bears the reference number SP1188 and has a tapped hole in the magnet so it can be bolted to its partner at the other end of the cabinet.

My question is: are all B200's alike or is this a specific type of driver for these speakers?

Can anyone point me at a source for a replacement (KEF can't help, apparently)? I'm not fussed about matched pairs but just want to get the speakers working again.
Cheers
Nick
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are about ten or twelve varients of the B200 chassis, so with the C Series, Ref 102, 103/3, 104-2, 107, etc there is very little scope for exchange of drive units, apart from the T33 mk2, hence I have no particular interest in them. As you have failed to register your domicile, if you are in the UK, USA or Germany I suggest you look at my previous posts to find a competent professional speaker re-builder who should be able to assist for £40 to £60 per driver.
NickS
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the information- I'm also based in the West Midlands so if you have any suggestions for a local speaker rebuilder I'd be most grateful.
Cheers
Nick
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any friends who know someone at Pevey in Stourbridge, as they'll happily look over the older B139A's and might enjoy the challenge.

Alternatively for the most hated speaker to rebuild, that's according to former KEF employees btw, the 104-2's midrange B110's are the second most hated, I suggest you contact David Smith on 01708 447344.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: