SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your thoughts on 104/2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rx7rotary
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Your thoughts on 104/2 Reply with quote

Guys,

I have an oppurtunity to clutter my house even more with another set of ref.
they are 104/2,

I have not heard them before and have a chance to buy them in Excellent condition in/out!

1. What should I pay max?
2. Are they a much superrior speaker to a 105.1? or similar or totally different...

I really only wanted to buy them to hear what they sound like and then protect them and store them. Offcourse if I will like them a lot more then my freshly restored 105s then its the obvious...

Regards
Mark
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be much more efficient, less bass unless you use a kube with them, and subjectively more forward IMHO, maybe more suited to pop and rock than acoustic and classical?
Headrush
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen many pairs of 104/2s sell for between £325-400 on eBay. Most of them have at some point suffered with foam rot around the base drivers so worth double checking there. It's an easy fix if you have the patience and lowers the price to £225-250.

They are a fantastic speaker and will still probably beat anything new today upto £1000 or more, highly recommended...
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Audiolabtower has nailed it. Unless you use the Kube, or are coming from a "typical" reflex loaded system of any size, they might sound somewhat lean in the bass.

However... stick with it. The bass system on the 104/2 is accurate but limited in extension.

If you wander into your average Richer Sounds and listen to "hi-fi" you might get more subjective bass, but it's night and day in terms of fidelity.

I confess some confusion on the 104/2 bass surround as I've certainly seen some where it is not foam, but rubber. Given that the system relies on low mass and high compliance, I do not know how KEF did this with 2 types of surrounds (perhaps, a change in the crossover ?)

Others with more experience will know if the surrounds should be foam or rubber or both !

Good luck. I hope you make the right choice !

Steve
rx7rotary
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: thanks but Reply with quote

I had a listen to them...
they sound lovely, accurate and everything you guys said above, but not as nice as my 105mk1 or my freshly restored IMF RSPM...
In any case they went well above 500 pounds equivalent and I decided to pass ... thanks kindly for all your input.
mark
Swallabat
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: My thoughts on kef 104/2's Reply with quote

Back in 1995 when some git stole my beloved Leak 3090's along with teh rest of my gear, I was faced with the task of spending £5k of my insurance companies money on replacement gear.

Having an unusually happy to help hifi dealer, (Music Matters in Edgbaston) I set to the task of aditioning most of their more likely loudspeakers over a couple of half day listening sessions. I listen to a huge variety of source material, but choose Dark Side Of The Moon as my "standard" reference material. I had about £2000-3000 in that budget to replace my 3090's

I was unable to find anything that sounded overall superior to the KEF 104's.
I am told that the 107's are better, but they did not have any available, so I didn't get to listen to those.

Whatever "type" of sound you like, the Kefs will get close to it, because they really tried to get the "Fidelity" right, but I will admit they give of their best when being played at "daytime" listening levels and seem to lose a little something when played late at night at lower levels.

But common sense would suggest you wouldn't buy this size of loudspeaker unless you wanted the headroom would you?

I originally bought a new pair of Raymond Cooke 104/2's but acquired a second pair of 104/2's (three sets of terminals on the back, the extra two pairs having been quite nicely done) a few years back for a second address, and have been using these ever since. I use a quad 405 to drive 'em. Just the one 405 across all three sets of terminals seems to be entirely adequate for my purposes. It goes loud enough to be scary, but seems unable to break them on the few occasions when I have operated them at unsocial levels.

I've never done a proper a/b comparison between the two sets but listened to separately they sound very, very, similar to me.

I think based largely on a few conversations with trades people, and my own brief investigation you'd have to spend more than £3k on new kit to get a better sound, so bay all means a good pair of 104's should weigh in at around 500 quid and a really exceptional pair, (say, a low use set of Raymond Cooke's, with their original packing materials and good provenance) should be worth considerably more... :c)

Hope my thoughts are of some use to someone... They are very good loudspeakers, and (IMHO) if the world was sane, Kef would still be making and selling them...
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know when the rubber surrounds were introduced ? I know of a pair going for £450 (not ebay) they are rosewood bi-wireable's but when I asked the chap he didn't seem to know anything about the surrounds.....
The Rang
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie wrote:
Does anyone know when the rubber surrounds were introduced ?

Can't answer your question, but I bought mine in mid '86 and they have rubber surrounds.
Single set of speaker inputs
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I owned (still in the family) were the "Raymond Cooke Special Edition 104/2" Bi-Wireable and a gorgeous veneer finish!

Link: http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/museum_pdf/90s/Raymond_Cooke_Series.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: