SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 203 / 303

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewaudio
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: KEF 203 / 303 Reply with quote

Can you help me with info on KEF 203 / 303 speakers?

Are they good or what? Natural response?

Thank you

Dewald V

Keep Everything Fine!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEF 203's are an updated version of the Caprice II and the 303's are updated Concord IV's.

The Caprice II is fairly neutral in character sharing a crossover design (one transposition of components) with the Constructor Series CS3.
The Concord IV has a "wooly" upper midrange due to the use of a paper coned driver.

The 203's present a better bet in terms of "upgraditis" in that a Ref 103-2 crossover, or circuit board containg those components can be substituted.

Although, if you do get some 203's "pop the hood" and send me a picture of the crossover as it might not need any modification, for the last member in the series, the 304, is an updated Carlton III which has a 103-2 type crossover (again with one transposition of components) without the S-STOP circuit.

The 303.3 use the same paper bass as the Celeste IV & III and are not upgradable to 103-2 specification.

If there was a 303.2, I know nothing about it, so cannot advise.

For "techies" the transposition of components I'm refering to is that of the bass unit dump caps and zobel. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: