SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better cabinet design (DIY) for KEF Caprice II / 203?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewaudio
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Better cabinet design (DIY) for KEF Caprice II / 203? Reply with quote

Are there any better cabinet designs that I can build myself for the drivers of the KEF Caprice II / 203? (for better bass response)

Or can I just 'insert' a bass port in the original cabinet?

Thankyou
Dewald Visser

Keep Everything Fine!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO and NO! So I'm afraid you've got to consider one of the following.

1. Buy a sub or build a Bassett/Coffin type sub-bass system.

2. Buy a pair of BD139B's SP 1082 ABR's and build some CS5 boxes, you gain 20 more Hz as the -3dB point becomess 38Hz. Harder because the particular ABR's are expensive as they much are sought after because of their low resonnant frequency. They are useful in many other deigns. A SP1042 won't work btw, it's particular TS parameters are wrong/too high for coupling efficiently with the B200G - I've tried it just for you in one of my Carltons over the weekend.

3. Go active, there's a nice Russian design somewhere on the net and add a bit of extra bass equalisation.

4. Design an build a horn from scratch, I hope you enjoy lots of maths and building prototype boxes. Well that's what the B200G TS parameters suggest the driver's good for.

5. Get rid of them and buy bigger speakers.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite correct Colin. There is more to the design than sticking an arbitrary port into a box. Running my analyser programme, the group delay is horrendous with any combination I have tried. To get real bass use a plethora of decent designs on the web with appropriate equalisation.
Try here for some stunning information if you need real bass at an affordable price. http://sound.westhost.com/index2.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: