SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dented B110 domes

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
iso
Senior Contributor 200+


Joined: 29 Aug 2011
Posts: 215
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Dented B110 domes Reply with quote

I have 2 pcs B110 SP1057 with dented domes. The first B110 has one roughly 10mm diameter dent and the other one 3 pcs 10 dia dents. I have tried vacuum cleaner method on these, but it was not effective. This seems to be ineffective when the dents are quite small.

Masking tape did not have enough grip, due to small diameter of dents... I think blue tack might prove ineffective for same reasons. Does anyone have other suggestions how to pull dents off the B110 dome.

It would be also nice to know, how harmfull these dents might be?

Best Regards

Kimmo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrisnotton
Introductory Contributor


Joined: 11 Jul 2011
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that it helps sometimes to warm the units gently with a hair-dryer before trying the vacuum cleaner/tape method.

Another last-ditch trick is to use a tiny drop of super-glue to fix a piece of cotton (colour to match the cone), pull the dent out & then carefully remove the cotton with a scalpel.

This takes a steady hand & it is best to practise on a scrap cone a couple of times. I usually leave the glue to dry overnight & warm the cone before pulling the dent out.

Good luck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rx7rotary
Intermediate Contributor 50+


Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the good old kissing method? Works wonders for me and they start to sing back and look as they should Smile
M
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grayyyt
Introductory Contributor


Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I use a $20 hand held vacuum pump. Squeeze type the same as used by garage mechanics, a rubber o-ring that fits over the dome, a twist top from a jar that fits the o-ring. Then, drill a hole in the lid to accept the hose from the pump. place o-ring and cap over dome w/ pump attached and start squeezing pump. Takes abt 10 - 20 seconds. I've used it on T-27s and just the other day on some JBL's works great. Good Luck,
_________________
grayyyt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+


Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Posts: 959
Location: Green Hut, Tovil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rx7rotary wrote:
Have you tried the good old kissing method? Works wonders for me and they start to sing back and look as they should Smile
M

+1 on this. I recommend the mouth and lungs too; more control and feedback and therefore safer than any other method.

If smaller dents resist this method and you insist on getting them out, a pin should do it; then reseal the resulting hole with a tiny amount of clear drying water based adhesive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+


Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Posts: 1297
Location: Tewkesbury UK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
rx7rotary wrote:
Have you tried the good old kissing method? Works wonders for me and they start to sing back and look as they should Smile
M

+1 on this. I recommend the mouth and lungs too; more control and feedback and therefore safer than any other method.

If smaller dents resist this method and you insist on getting them out, a pin should do it; then reseal the resulting hole with a tiny amount of clear drying water based adhesive.


Seconded, the only methods I use. However, have had some strange looks fom friends and family when doing so!
_________________
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a
man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-Winston Churchill
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+


Joined: 27 Jul 2009
Posts: 141
Location: Emmer-Compascuum The Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
speakerguru wrote:
rx7rotary wrote:
Have you tried the good old kissing method? Works wonders for me and they start to sing back and look as they should Smile
M

+1 on this. I recommend the mouth and lungs too; more control and feedback and therefore safer than any other method.

If smaller dents resist this method and you insist on getting them out, a pin should do it; then reseal the resulting hole with a tiny amount of clear drying water based adhesive.


Seconded, the only methods I use. However, have had some strange looks fom friends and family when doing so!

Why? Didn't you tell them that you really love your speakers??
_________________
Without music, life would be a mistake.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche,
The Twilight of the Idols, 1889
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+


Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Posts: 1297
Location: Tewkesbury UK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curses, I've been sussed! Embarassed
_________________
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a
man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-Winston Churchill
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+


Joined: 27 Jul 2009
Posts: 141
Location: Emmer-Compascuum The Netherlands

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
Curses, I've been sussed! Embarassed

That's allright Proffski, don't worry, you should see me rubbing up my speakers Laughing
Greets, TL200
_________________
Without music, life would be a mistake.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche,
The Twilight of the Idols, 1889
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+


Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Posts: 1297
Location: Tewkesbury UK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it is not the voice coils that are rubbing... Shocked
_________________
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a
man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-Winston Churchill
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+


Joined: 27 Jul 2009
Posts: 141
Location: Emmer-Compascuum The Netherlands

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
As long as it is not the voice coils that are rubbing... Shocked

No,no, my hands, holding a soft cloth and some polishing oil, they really love it,hhhmmmmmm. Very Happy
_________________
Without music, life would be a mistake.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche,
The Twilight of the Idols, 1889
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group