SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! mystery KEF speakers -see photo!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harry.wiles
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: HELP! mystery KEF speakers -see photo! Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about these speakers, they seem to be becoming a family heirloom.... - my uncle says that they were a present to him from the guy who started the KEF speaker company

picture to be found at:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/tha_stix/Parties/casu/pics/DSC00472big.jpg

(the pair on the outside!)
top driver currently under repair, any information anyone has would be much appreciated!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used my browser's zoom facility the faceplate of the tweeter appears to be square, a T33?
Also the cabinet looks like that of a time-aligned CS7 varient.
A better picture of the drive units, input terminals and of the crossover boards, there should be two, would be helpful.
If these speakers were used for KEF's time alignment research they should have a 1.75"*1" KEF plate with SP number somewhere on the boxes' surface.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief! are they real KEF manifestations?
As C says, they should somewhere have the SP number hidden away.
Blast,just as you get to a point where you think you have KEF all sorted out then this appears. LOVELY! Is it a KEF prototype?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it a KEF prototype?

Yes and no are the correct answers!

The time aligned head off a Ref 105-4 or 107 mk1 is the prototype part and the B139B box is "a bit of engineering".

I've got some photographs of a similar design having it's polar response measured in an anechoic chamber somewhere in my loft.
Now the anechoic chamber was the University of Surrey's.
No idea though, about how many more of these "test beds" exist in private or academic hands, but time, greed and ePay will probably resolve the issue.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin, gosh you sure do know your KEF history! Where did you pick up up your technical expertise?

Thiel Loudspeakers. has anybody noticed the family resemblance between the last KEF B139B ABR and Thiel's? Two extra screw holes on the face of it, wish I could see the rest...

Any help or comments would be most welcome and possibly put me out of my misery!
The model in question is the CS2.4. You may have a glimpse here and other searches that Google can produce.
http://www.fredsoundofmusic.com/Thiel_Speakers.html
Probably a better shot of it here: http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site05/PDF_files/PDF_product_lit/CS2_4lit.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: