SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105s on ebay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: 105s on ebay Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kef-105-mk1-/261534453571?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3ce4ab0f43

item no 261534453571 if link doesn't work.

Looks like it has no bracket for the head unit? And where are the terminals for the bass bin? How do you connect to the B300? Do wires come up under the head unit which looks as if it just rests on the bass bin? What if those holes aren't sealed properly? Very strange...
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 105s on ebay Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
Looks like it has no bracket for the head unit? And where are the terminals for the bass bin? How do you connect to the B300? Do wires come up under the head unit which looks as if it just rests on the bass bin? What if those holes aren't sealed properly? Very strange...

You've obviously never seen a Mk 1 Model 105 before.

The cable comes up from floor level via the sealed tube, through the bass cab, to the terminals on the pcb in the MF/HF box. In parallel, two short leads with banana plugs loop off this pcb onto the top of the bass cab. This was done to not have visible wires or terminals at the back of the bass cab.

The MF/HF cab is pivoted on a steel stirrup inside the cab side cheeks. Again everything smooth and uncluttered on the outside.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guru, thanks for replying. I should have been much clearer, have a close look at the pictures.

In pic 2 the head unit is offset from centre - the bracket does not allow that - and just resting on the bass cab, there is no cast bracket supporting it. In pics 4 and 5 there is no knob for the screw vertical angle adjustment because there is no bracket.

But the most confusing thing is in pics 7 and 8. The 4mm sockets either side of the cardboard tube outlet for hidden cable connection are missing, and the holes look like they have been filled in? Thus there is nowhere for the short leads from the head crossover and their 4mm banana plugs to plug into to connect with the bass bin crossover/B300?
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memory is not brilliant but I don't think there ever were any terminals on the bottom...
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short ~10cm red/black wires from the head (mid/treble) crossover have 4mm plugs, and these connect to red/black 4mm sockets in the top of the bass bin either side of the outlet from the sealed tube hiding the speaker cables. The tube outlet is right by the serial number plate, and in those last pics it looks like the 4mm sockets have been removed and filled in...? Most confusing.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the last two photos in the listing are of the top of the bass cab, not the bottom as I had originally thought. Mmm, yes very strange.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably makes me an official die hard old fogie now, but it is sad to see great speakers that were really ground breaking in sad states now.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the heads are missing the "stands". They should be visible from the back, along with the big "hand screw" that allows adjustment of vertical angle the heads fire to.

These were the speakers I fell in love as a young lad.

Thankfully, with the help of a decent fellow from Hamburg, I obtained the complete set of bass cabinets with hoods, carefully packed and sent to me. I also obtained the heads in a rather sorry state without drivers but complete with crossovers and stands. I also obtained the complete assortment of drivers individually.

Now, getting the drivers individually and separate from the crossovers defeats any of the careful matching that was done initially at the factory and I'm sorry about that.

But, once cleaned up and polished and assembled, my pair sounds like a voice from heaven. I can only imagine how the originals would sound some 40 years ago when they originally came out.

This speaker is a cornerstone of the loudspeaker evolution and I am only happy I have a sample pair, even if it's not as original from the factory.

My only future plans for them is to replace the capacitors as they still run on the original ones.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the dutch site marktplaats (marketplace) there is also a set of 105's for sale in visually good condition http://link.marktplaats.nl/m842107713
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Interesting to see what look like 1/2 covers (for the bass bin only) in one picture. Were those a factory option? I don't remember them over here, I ended up making my own Smile
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller mentioned that it is indeed an extra feature. I really don't know of it is an factory option.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pair 105 for sale, 600 euro's: http://link.marktplaats.nl/m843103415
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: