SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calinda vs Cantata

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andre
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Calinda vs Cantata Reply with quote

Just a little question. I am currently using a loved pair of Calinda, and am interested to know how the Cantata compare. Is it a worthy upgrade?
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
i think the cantata has a deeper bas and also the mid will be better because the cantate has the B139B active and the B110 in the midrange. The calinda is a 2 way system with an B139 working as a basreflex, same as the 104 ab. In the past i had a 104AB and a CS7, witch is almost a cantata. I found the CS7 better, but the 104ab (as also the calinda) is offcourse not a bad speaker.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the Calinda is most likely an "improved" R104ab, is certainly isn't a bad loudspeaker. It's medium sized and offers a well balanced performance with moderate sensitivity.

The Cantata is a considerably larger loudspeaker that also has 3 active drivers instead of 2. I have never heard or seen one in person so I can't judge its performance (I do have R104ab and Calinda pairs) but I would presume it should have a bit fuller low end but not too much I would guess.

It will probably need a bit higher output from the amplifier to be driven adequately, which in the era these came out, wasn't a given since most amps were in the 20-40W range.
andre
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i know the 104 and Calinda use the passive radiator, i have also owned 104ab in the past, and think the Calinda is a little better. And i do like bass, proper bass that goes low, i have also had transmission lines too. But the ones i had, had no upper bass. So they could sound very bass light until something below 50hz kicked in. I like the KEF sound and have seen some Cantata for sale . But have no room for speaker collections, so it would be one in the other out.
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuild Cantata kit speakers few years ago, and after rebuild they have performed very well. I had to make new cab for Cantatas as cabinets that came with drive units were ugly as one can be. New cabinets are not true to original ones as they do have removable front baffle, as I did not know how good Cantatas will be. I wanted to be able to use cabinets for other project, if Cantata rebuild would be disaster.

Now my Cantatas do have very good sound stage. There is hint of honkiness in mid range and HF is not fully open. I have two sets of T52 tweeters and HF reproduction is not too different using one or other. It might be reasonable to expect that perfect condition T52`s are quite hard to find. LF reproduction is not tightest one but I like it.

Above mentioned faults are not so severe that they will spoil overall performance, but when compared to more neutral speakers you will note these. Please read the following tread http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1248&highlight=cantata, there is some useful information about Cantatas.

Best Regards

Kimmo
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andre wrote:
But the ones i had, had no upper bass. So they could sound very bass light until something below 50hz kicked in.

Sorry, are you referring to the Calinda or Cantata or both?
andre
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither was referring to some Wilmslow Audio transmission line kits i had, which where a close relative to one of the TDL studio models. Used the TDL metal dome tweeter with a 8" Volt bass mid unit. I am still sat on the fence over the Cantata.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay. Smile

I presume you are in Europe or the UK, both speakers are a little scarce here in Canada.
andre
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Uk, i have bit the bullet and picking up the Cantata tomorrow. Deciding factor, my nephew is having the Calinda. So i know they are safe from Ebay rapers. I got them from another family member, and at the time we said we should make sure they stay within the family. So far so good.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great solution. Enjoy!!!
andre
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had the Cantata a week now, i thought i should report. I like em, quite a lot. The top end and mid is wonderful. With great image width and depth, just as i remember the Spendor BC1 i had a few years ago. (Why oh why did i sell them). The bottom end isn't as promminant as i thought it was going to be, in fact the Calinda had more in the region of 30 to 40 Hz. Then i thought when KEF did the 105, they should of put the mid and treble box on top of a Calinda cab minus its T27. I bet that would have worked well. Anyhow the Xovers have already had Alcaps fitted, and the grill face plate with controls had been removed, and jumper leads replaced the controls. But for now i have replaced them, as i like them to be original looking. But i did replace the fantastic original 70s tastic castors with 8mm spikes, it was a straight swap so no butchering. I did like the look of the castors, but you cant beat the spikes for a nice solid grounding. Thats all for now.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the update.

I have a pair of Calinda speakers and am looking for 2 more for a surround system. If I find a pair of Cantata speakers I'll consider them for the front!
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be a bit late on this.
Gary ... we're Canadian brethren and I have just finished a pair of Cantata's (Recapped) if you're still interested in taking a pair for a spin.

Feel free to pm me or even use this email: rob.malcolm@sympatico.ca
Jay_Plesset
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Cantata or Calinda? Reply with quote

Back when these were current products, we had them side-by-side in our retail store. The Cantata is a very competent speaker, even by today's standards. Yes, deeper bass than the Calinda, also tighter. Clearer midrange, and perhaps sweeter highs. If I had room, I'd be happy with Cantatas...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: