SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member and Kef 104/2 t33 help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigel_shearing
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: New member and Kef 104/2 t33 help Reply with quote

Hi all. Great forum. Very helpful!

I'm looking to replace the tweeters in my 104/2s (sp1191 @ 4 ohm and 92db) and have found:

Vifa DX25 @ http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=8657

Vifa MG27 @ http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-568.pdf

Hivi X1 @ http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-418

SCan Speak @ http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d2604-830000.pdf

Anyone used any of these? I can't get any technical data for the originals and any thoughts much appreciated. Some specs look very good. Not sure if all plates are demountable. I've not taken the 104/2 mounting off yet, but understand the T33 replacement fit is also very tight. What a task!! Can anyone clear up the maximum measurements allowed for a replacement.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Nigel
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've not taken the 104/2 mounting off yet, but understand the T33 replacement fit is also very tight

As a taster of what you've got to look forward too.

The mid treble box weighs about 50lbs.

The T33 mkIIs are held in place by a single screw threaded through a piece of wood and tightened directly onto the centre rear of the T33.

Undoing the screw allows the piece of wood to slide to one side within the retaining slots in which it is located.

You need a driver which is the same diameter as the T33mkII or <<67mm dia, ~22mm frontplate to backplate with a removable faceplate.

The wood retainer must be flat after fitting, otherwise you'll have to find an alternative method of fixing.

The current KEF Uni-Q tweeter will fit, but it's expensive and sounds harsh/brittle to most who haven't played with an attenuator.

If you're poor at fine woodwork with a Dremel, you're stuffed wrt to a rearmount, so you'll have to consider using a tank cutter to do a front mount.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.

Last edited by ColinR on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
nigel_shearing
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm fairly competent at DIY, and could manage either of the above, but don't want to alter the cabinet.

I'm really after some views on the above replacement potentials, especially from those that may have used them. Some have been around for a while. A couple are new.

Without the detailed specs I'm finding it difficult to make comparisons. Does anyone have the detailed specs for the T33 I have in the 104/2?

Nigel
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 68mm gap to play in you've only got one choice from your list Very Happy .

Regarding the specification and frequency response, it was available for www.diyaudio.com members once and the nearest free public domain frequency reponse plot is that of the Isophon KK8/10 Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
nigel_shearing
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again. You id "the current KEF Uni-Q tweeter will fit, but it's expensive and sounds harsh/brittle to most who haven't played with an attenuator."

I'm not an engineer. Can you advise what you mean?

My current 104/2 tweeters work fine. But I've swapped them against Sonus Faber Concertino Homes. The highs and mids in these were great, sharp and very revealing, but the lows were poor. Hence the move to the 104/2s. Better all round, but I'm seeking the brightness again. If I can get anywhere near the SFs in the Kefs, I will be very pleased!!

Nigel
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=195&highlight=sp1191

at the time KEF couldn't keep up with demand, but there were complaints about the sound.

Quote:
sounds harsh/brittle to most who haven't played with an attenuator."

I'm not an engineer. Can you advise what you mean?

An attenuator reduces any drive unit's output through either a fixed or variable series/parallel resistors. i.e. it dumps current without giving the amplifier an awkward load.

Go and listen to a new pair of KEFs if you like the treble sound, fine.

Modern speakers tend not to have "polite" midranges any more and have gravitated to the more fashionable AV sound, with bass slam and strident treble.

i.e. I prefer to listen to a friend's ATCs in the dining room as there's just too much treble energy which causes the rapid onset of listening fatigue.
nigel_shearing
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm beginning to know what you mean. I'm listening to Kings of Convenience' new album at the moment and it just sounds superb. Maybe the SFs corrupted me. I'm beginning to think I'm searching for something not needed. Maybe corrupted by the modern sound? Listening now, I think you're right. If the HFs are brighter, it will throw things out of balance and make it all too harsh and fatiguing. I needed conditioning!

I'm growing with the 104s. The overall balance is better than anything I've listened to in my price range before. They just seem to get better and better every day.

Thanks for all your help. I think I'll stick with the original T33s for a bit. Get rid of the SFs. Treat the Kefs with masses of respect and hope the T33s will last.

I will still look for an alternative 'for the bank'. I guess this is what I need to focus on now. Any suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: