SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105.2 test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodlife
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: 105.2 test Reply with quote

Can anyone help me.

I have just inherited a pair of kef 105.2 speakers and a pair of meridian 105 monoblocks (all of which were in original boxes).

After connecting it all up I have noticed that the base drivers sound distorted, but the mid and high freq sound ok. Is the problem that the bass drivers are broken or is it likely to be the crossover? Does anyone know how I can test the components?

I've thought about removing the bass driver and connecting it directly to the amp to see if there is still distortion but I don't want to break the driver.

Can anyone help?
ian t
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Re 105/2 bass unit problem Reply with quote

Sounds like the dreaded voice coil rub caused by the suspension sagging with time. A frequent recommendation is to regularly rotate and then remount the B300 to compensate.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes re-mounting would be worth a try. Try it and leave the drive unit in its new orientation for a few weeks then report back. I would be interested to hear if that works.

The problem with the B300 is that there are only 3 bolt holes and so re-orienting means 120 degree shift rather than 180 degree unless you creat new bolt holes on the cabinet - which I am not advocating. perhaps worth doing 120 degree shift for a few days then further 120 degree shift.

Terry
goodlife
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rotated the drivers 120 degress. No difference yet. Will leave them like that for the rest of the week then rotate a further 120 degrees and hope for the best. I figure I'll switch between the two new positions weekly over the next month while searching for a second hand pair. If I can't find any old ones I'll get them professionally repaired as it would be a shame to see these speakers broken up for parts.

Thanks for the advice. I'll report back in a week or so.

goodlife...
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B300s don't come up for sale very often unfortunately.
Terry
goodlife
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: ....... Reply with quote

Just to report back. I rotated the B300's 120 degrees a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have worked. I don't believe they are perfect but they are a million times better than they were.

Cheers for the advice

goodlife
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news. Probably a good idea to rotate them back and fore for a while to balance any any correction.
Terry
albert35
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same issue with mine. Did the same, rotation 120 deg. It worked!
Having said that. Does it not mean that the B300 is "tired"?
qguy
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B300 tired.. I guess so .. or its not getting enough exercise, I used my 105.2 almost daily and the times that I dont use it my wife does, never needed the rotational fix, but as a precaution I did anyway, now its a "My Birthday" same with change the oil of the car thing.. its a birthday task i never forget to do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: