SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef + Quad vs Kef + Sugden

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roberte
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Kef + Quad vs Kef + Sugden Reply with quote

Last time I had the Kefkit3s in my home system, power (100 odd watts of it) came from a Quad 909.

This time around the Quad has gone and been replaced by a Sugden A21aP at a mere 30 or so watts.

Which works better? The Sugden, and by quite a decent margin. Being class A, the Sugden also seems to do well into the load that the Kefkits provide - which lead me to wonder about the sensitivity and easyness (or otherwise) of load of the Kefs.

Anyway Quad 303/405/606/909 seem to pop up in comments here fairly often with Sugden less so, but nonetheless it seems to me a rather good combination.
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kef + Quad vs Kef + Sugden Reply with quote

Hi buddy

Back in the 70s, Quad and Kef were too well know brands. It seems that Kef were also tested with Quad equipment. So, I think that logically, people were buying them together. Back in 1979, my Kef Calindas were putchaded with a Quad 44 and 405. That seemed the logical thing to do back in the days.

Now, it doesn't mean that other amps like Sugden are not fit, it only means it is not what people were using. But hey, it would indeed be great to see what works great.

I just reconnected my 405 after I upgraded it with new components, and it is by far the best thing that has happened so far to my Kef 105/2...
Plenty of KEF components for a few fun builds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Audio equipment All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: