SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new member - recent ebay purchase - any info appreciated
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robc
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: new member - recent ebay purchase - any info appreciated Reply with quote

hi

i'm rob campbell and have recently joined the forum. i've owned a pair of nightingale nm1 speakers for some years and have just bought some whopping speakers from ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280432037902&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i'd really appreciate it if anyone knows any info about the above 0 i've not even tried them yet as i am not able to lift them at present!

just for info i mostly listen to bbc radio 2,3,4 these days ; i;ve a tandberg 70s receiver , also a quad 22/II setup and a 300b valve amp.

regards

rob
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ePrey pimp speak "of £1780 each" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy NO ~£178 from Nippro?

A "real" homebrew design!

i.e. a pair of Chris Rogers Pro9TL cabinets fitted with KEF B139B, B110A, T27, Coles 4001, which would normally be found in his "rip-off" of Bert Webb's Cambridge Audio R50.

The fun thing is with the drive units at the top, you'll get the presentation offered by Lentek Monitors or IMF TLS80/RSPMs, although the T27 and B110 should have had their relative positions transposed!

Pro9TLS http://www.tech-diy.com/LS_Articles.htm have the bass unit at the bottom and should have a Peerless KO40MRF midrange and an Isophon, Peerless or Audax tweeter.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
robc
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks colin - i'll have a look at the ref - what's nippro??

i think the seller was a really genuine bloke who was passing on the description he was given - cheers rob
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what's nippro??

i think the seller was a really genuine bloke who was passing on the description he was given

If it's not the usual sleazeBay chain pulling, I'm afraid someone has been telling "porkies" for you'd get a pretty good custom sound reinforcement system for ~£3500 in 1978 using Altec, Volt, Electro Voice, Eminence, Celestion Pro or JBL units and at least couple of Crown DC-300As to drive them.

It wouldn't be a pair of domestic transmission line loudspeakers no matter how well they were built.

Nippro made Pro9TLs on a commercial basis.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Rait
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than the Pro 9, i think you'll find they are based on Chris Rogers' earlier design which was published in HI-FI ANSWERS. That version used the Kef drivers & Coles supertweeter as well as the mid positioned T/line vent as per the Ebay units, though they have repositioned the drivers grouping them all in the upper area of the baffle.

Where were the Nippro versions made??
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rather than the Pro 9, i think you'll find they are based on Chris Rogers' earlier design which was published in HI-FI ANSWERS

No, they're wider, so

Quote:
Chris Rogers Pro9TL cabinets fitted with KEF B139B, B110A, T27, Coles 4001, which would normally be found in his "rip-off" of Bert Webb's Cambridge Audio R50

and Nippro made their version in Southampton Cool .
Rait
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the HiFi Answers version & the Pro9-TL are 13.5" wide!!
I have both sets of plans in front of me as i type having built the HiFi Answers TSL, in the 70's & contemplated building the PRO9s, but instead moved on to other things.

The HiFi Answers TLS, is 1" taller than the PRO9 at 39" & 1/2" deeper at 18", so dimensions are pretty much identical for both of the Chris Rogers designs.

I'm not familiar with the Cambridge Audio R50, i don't think it sold in Aust, but we did have their TL100 & 200 transmission lines. The bigger TL200 was 13"W X 17.5"D X 42.5"H.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they're wider
14.25"

They're also shorter, 36.75" (using the B139B chassis dimensions as reference) than the 39" high 1974 Burt Webb design, subsequently "knocked off" by Chris Rogers for Hi-fi Answers or the 38" Pro 9TL.

The full width port (27" from the top) and resizing suggest an "adaptable design" not the more complex Webb plan.
robc
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: now up and running Reply with quote

hi chaps

thanks for the replies , they are 40.5" high (with some small feet to allow the cables in) , 19.5" deep and 13.5" wide.

i now have them running with quad fm4 , 22 and 2 IIs and they sound very nice ; connecting the speaker cable was a bit of a fiddle - just 2 small screws on each base - seemed much lower quality than the rest of the speakers.

any advice on power handling please? are they designed for a particular max wattage for example? or more relevantly perhaps , is there a particular type of amp that would suit them best?

regards

rob c
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Spend a few quid on replacing the old Alcap electrolytic capacitors, they're probably acting as small resistors after 20-30 years.

2. The crossover is probably a "stock" or higher powered version of the Cambridge R50 unit, so 15W light bulbs, 25-100W solid state.

3. Get a pair of round plate 5-way binding posts and practice with a tank cutter on a piece of scrap wood first.

4. As the single largest user of Quad equipment (according to Quad Service) I'm not allowed to be biased Very Happy , so stick a Sugden or Croft up their backsides, although they'll be quite happy with most European amplificaion and American muscle amplifiers with care.
They will be "picky" with Japanese amplifiers and tuner-amps, so Pioneer Reference, Yamaha, Sansui and odd sods like the transformer outputted 100W JVC power amplifer, which was the oriental take on the Quad 303/50E without the hassle Cool .

Last edited by ColinR on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
robc
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

wow , thanks for the comprehensive reply colin. nice to know my old 15watters are in the right ballpark ; they suit my ears for a large part of my listening.

i will look up '5 way binding post' but think its unlikely i will unleash my crude manual skills upon them ; i may be able to persuade others.

may i ask a further question? -

does it matter which brand of capacitor one buys? i am not technically competent either but have read about the deterioration you mention.

many thanks

rob campbell
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
does it matter which brand of capacitor one buys?

This all depends upon how deep your pockets are and how "golden" your hearing.

So in increasing sound quality and cost you have reversible electrolytic, polyester, film and possibly poncy caps, where you may or may not hear the angels Twisted Evil .

I'd wait unitl next month and see what Jerry Bloomfield under Malcolm Jones' guidance has to offer at www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk until then just prowl around the "old" website's hints and tips section, A-level Physics ac theory and read up about esr.

When buying start off cheap and after a long good listen you'll soon get a feel for which octave needs a brighter/more expensive/lower esr crossover component.
robc
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearing varies from cloth through brass to silver i would imagine ; i am in possession of an old school a level physics although it has not served me well in the real world.

i recall that falcon had something to do with the nm1 speakers i have. i'm still looking for a picture of them with the foam intact or a drawing as i quite fancy restoring the cosmetics to their original glory.

cheers for the amusing and highly informative reply , its most appreciated.

regards

rob
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Finally dump the Quad pre, some of the Croft 3 and 5 series sound much, much better with Quad IIs Cool .
robc
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: sadly these now have to go to a new home Reply with quote

please see the post in the classifieds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: