SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sp1004 Dn12 Crossover Help Needed for Cabinet Only

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Chris Land
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Sp1004 Dn12 Crossover Help Needed for Cabinet Only Reply with quote

Hello,

I am completely new to the Forum so I would really appreciate some
help installing Sp1004's into a cabinet enclosure. I have cabinets which will work but they are a more recent Kef Q-series model the Q-80's. I did a little research and found that the sp1004 crossover is the dn12. I don't know where to find a crossover except in the Uk and it is expensive. The Q-80's are bi-wireable so maybe some one can help with any suggestions for a bi-amp speaker. I do not want to use the Q-series speakers but maybe another speaker with the sp1004. If anyone can help with this please let me know.

Thank you.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sp1004 Dn12 Crossover Help Needed for Cabinet Only Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
I have searched my archives and am sorry to report that I have currently no details of the crossover in question.
Perhaps the others may be able to help...
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DN12 SP1004 crossover

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/SpeakerSystems/Concerto/ConcertoCrossoverSchematic.jpg

Bits from Parts Express, Madisound, etc.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Colin, blow me over with a feather duster, you learn something every day on this forum.

I'd have never guessed that these loudspeakers would have shared the same crossover!

I'm stocked and stunted! Very Happy
James Chris Land
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll.
Not quite too sure what you two are talking about....HEHE. What two speakers share the same crossover? THANKS for the diagram though!! It should help. Now I just need to find a crossover. I guess. Do either of you have any suggestions for a speaker using the just the T27 and the SP1004? Or is there a conflict in frequencies, or in/output? Or do you think it is over all a bad idea.
Let me know.
Thank you.
James Chris Land
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait. I think I caught on. So are you saying the crossovers that I already have will work with the speakers? If so, what about Bi-wiring with a T27
since it is already a bi-wired crossover? Possible? Let me know.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Chris Land wrote:
.... Do either of you have any suggestions for a speaker using the just the T27 and the SP1004? ...

I didn't (and still don't) understand your original post and now you're asking about a speaker with just a crossover and some tweeters...?!?

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this eventually, but meanwhile I'm completly baffled about what you've got and what you hope to achieve with it.

Welcome to the forum anyway.
James Chris Land
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Yo! Guru, Reply with quote

I sent you a private message. Let me know if it helps and let me know
if you can help me...
Thank You!
Chris.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use certain sections of the DN12 you will need to disconnect the input to the unused sections. e.g. if you want to just use the LF sections with two B139s, then you will have to disconnect the 5uF input capacitor to the tweeter section and the 30uF input to the midrange section. If you don't and those sections are left unloaded (without drive units) you end up with tuned circuits across the amplifier ouptput. A series tuned circuit with not much damping will become a very low impedance load at the resonance frequency. The amplifier may current limit or become damaged.

The mid and high sections won't work as intended if your cabinet-speaker layout is not very similar to the Concerto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: