SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crossover details for Coles 4001?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Crossover details for Coles 4001? Reply with quote

I have had a set of Baileys TLS speakers since I built them over 30 years ago and still love them...
I have decided to build another set with a slightly different physical configuration and I have bought some speakers for them. They are B139, B110, T27 and included in the purchase are two Coles 4001 tweeters. I haven't been able to find out much about the Coles, particularly what is needed for the crossover for them. I have the details for the KEF drivers however.

Does anyone know what crossover is required?

Cheers...Rod
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral The 16 Ohm Coles 4001G used in Cambridge R50s & knockoffs, Spendor BC and SP 1s, B&W DM 2 and 4.

Either use a half-section; 0.47uF in series with and 0.3mH across the drive unit.

Or the alternative Spendorish topography of a 1uF, 0.1mH, 1uF tee-section.

The 8 Ohm 4001K like the Celestion HF2000 uses a 2.2uF capacitor in series, which suggests the half-section 2uF in series and 0.18mH across the drive unit is also applicable.

The published tee-section for a HF2000 in a Ditton 66 is good from 5kHz, but a Coles K or G is only good from 7kHz so you'd have to come up with your own figures as both drive units have limited power handling capacities below ~9kHz, hence they're all best crossed over at 10kHz or above just like all the examples I've given Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
rodb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, as all 8 speakers came from the same boxes (don't know which ones) I'll start with using 10khz and see what happens.

Cheers
Rod
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for completeness here are the specifications for the ITT/STC/Coles 4001 K & G.

Frequency Range 1.2KHz - 35KHz
Useable Frequency Response 8KHz - 35KHz; 5KHz - 25KHz +/-2dB.
Free Air Resonanance 1.6KHz
Nominal Impedance /K = 7 OHM /G = 16 OHM
D.C. Resistance /K = 6 OHM /G = 23 OHM
Sensitivity (dB for 1 Watt @ 1 Metre): /K 87dB 15K /G 85dB 15K

As I've got a "proper" B&K frequency plot, i.m.h.o. the units are only really useable above ~9kHz.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to original Coles 4001 documentation.http://new-hifi-classic.de/Gallery_MO/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=0 last two pics, first is CE 4001
Lots of documents and brochures on this site, all vintage, have fun.
link to homepagehttp://new-hifi-classic.de/Gallery_MO/index.php
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One slight problem, the first link goes to "no image" and there's no ITT/STC/Coles in the list.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, but if you put "coles" in the search box you should get 3 pages of scans.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
I had the same problem, but if you put "coles" in the search box you should get 3 pages of scans.

You're right, something weird is going on, link works fine to me, suddenly doesn't, sometimes does Confused
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
One slight problem, the first link goes to "no image" and there's no ITT/STC/Coles in the list.

Look for IMF Colin, there are the datasheets and brochures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: