SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

104 Stands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: 104 Stands Reply with quote

I'm looking for some stands for my 104's, I'm guessing about a foot (30cm) high ?? I cant seem to find anything that's either cheap enough or isn't a million miles away.

So I have a plan, I have 2 pairs of these, one pair has very tatty cabinets, probably beyond restoration in my view, hand painted, delaminating, chipped corners etc so what about the idea of cutting them in half to make perfect (size) stands, filled with crete or sand...... Or do I get hung drawn and quartered for the very thought of such sacrilege ?
Thierry
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 104 Stands Reply with quote

Richie wrote:
I'm looking for some stands for my 104's, I'm guessing about a foot (30cm) high ?? I cant seem to find anything that's either cheap enough or isn't a million miles away.

So I have a plan, I have 2 pairs of these, one pair has very tatty cabinets, probably beyond restoration in my view, hand painted, delaminating, chipped corners etc so what about the idea of cutting them in half to make perfect (size) stands, filled with crete or sand...... Or do I get hung drawn and quartered for the very thought of such sacrilege ?

Pleeeeease do not salvage them !!!

An elegant stand is easy to build from MDF panels and ... toilet sewage piping !

I built a pair of them for my IMFs Super Compact and I'm very happy with them since :

Here's the receipt :

- cut 4 MDF plates to your enclosures base dimensions, or slightly smaller for the upper ones
    - finish plates edges to your taste (I choosed rounded angles, thanks to my Bosch router)
    - drill or cut out 80mm holes in the plates center (standard pipe diameter)
    - tightly fit toilet pipe cut to the desired length. You may want to use strong glue to fill possible gaps between pipe and hole edge
    - get a can of mat black spray paint - a flashing pink will do too if you prefer Laughing
    - if you wish you can then fill the pipe with any appropriate material (concrete, sand, lead). I left them empty because they're OK as this.
    - dispose 4 small Blue Tack balls between top plate and speaker base to avoid unwanted cabinet movement resulting in a catastrophic fall (small child, wife, cat, over happy and large dog)

You are finished !

Some more pictures in this slideshow : http://picasaweb.google.com/Thmartin60/SupportsEnceintes#slideshow/5548396799917986658

Nothing like DIY stands Cool

Thierry
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the many years I enjoyed 104aB's I used simple stands that slightly angled the orientation up and away from the floor.
The wooden stands lifted the front of the cabinets 8" and 7" on the rear.
I suggest before getting the saw out that you try a few different heights and angles of tilt.
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, maybe 12 " is a little high.

Nice stands Thierry but I dont think my DIY skills could produce professional looking stands as you have achieved.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't easily post pictures here, but if you care to pm me I'll send a few pictures of the wooden Plateau Stands I'm talking about. They would be a very easy build for any novice with a saw.
Easier than hacking a 104 cabinet up at least. And who knows what future may hold for those??? I have a pair too Smile)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: