SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calinda or Reference 1.2 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leonard
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Calinda or Reference 1.2 ? Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. Nice to be here.

To make it short: about 30 years ago I bought a pair of Kef Corelli together with a Quad 33/303. A combination with a wonderful sound! About 20 years ago I 'lost' the Corelli's through divorce (life is sweet, life is bitter). Bought a pair of B&W DM110i instead, which I still own. At first the sound was satisfying, but now it's time for something 'new', t.i. back to the golden ages of hifi.

Looking around on the internet a descent pair of Kef Calinda seems to be a very suitable set for my Quad 33/303. Neutral/naturally, detailed imaging, fine controled deep low. It's available for 200 - 400.

But looking around I also discovered a excellent pair of Kef Reference 1.2., born in the late nineties, for about 500. The Kef Museum: "Model One~Two features a fourth generation Uni-Q twin driver array consisting of KEF's incredibly smooth, natural-sounding 25mm (1") ferrofluid-cooled soft dome tweeter at the centre of a 160mm (6.5") polypropylene cone mid-range driver."
Sounds good to me. So good in fact that I'm in doubt: Calinda or Reference?

Is there anybody in this forum who has experiences with both and can compare them? All comments or advices are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

NB My Quad 33/303 will be refurbished in the next weeks.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Ideally, you should try them both out in your intended listening room and choose the one you like the most. The different bass loadings may well interact differently with the room at low frequencies.

On the other hand, the later Uni-Qs will have a smoother well-controlled directivity in the MF/HF crossover region, ~3 kHz. Depends which aspect of the sound is more important to you.
Leonard
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi speakerguru, thanks for your advice!

In the meantime I listened to sets of Reference 1.2, Concerto 2 and Calinda. The first two were indeed smooth in the MF/HF, but I preferred the Calinda's for their overall natural concerthall sound on Quad 33-303. Amazing! On the other hand LF of the Calinda's is so very deep that it is almost too much for my listeningroom.

So now Im focusing on a pair of all around praised KEF 103.2. Somewhere I read that the connector cap of this model should be replaced every 15 years or so. Is that really necessary? And what should tell me I have to do so? Is it noticable in the sound?

The pair of 103.2 Im going to listen to looks like new and will cost about 215.00. That seems to be a fair price for speakers with a great, almost magical reputation.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonard wrote:
Somewhere I read that the connector cap of this model should be replaced every 15 years or so. Is that really necessary? And what should tell me I have to do so? Is it noticable in the sound?

"connector cap" doesn't mean anything. Where have you heard this, and in what context?

All the capacitors in the crossover filters, being bipolar electrolytic, are subject to problems due to drying of the electrolyte. This depends on use, storage and age.

You probably wouldn't notice this unless a capacitor on one side changes value or loss significantly with respect to the other side. You'll may well notice if a capacitor goes open or short circuit, but it depends where it is in the circuit, how big an audible effect it produces.
Leonard
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry speakerguru, I used the wrong expression. Of course it should be: crossover cap.

I found it in this passage about the RR 103.2 on Audioreview:
Have to change crossover caps of course, every 15 years approx. And that is true for all crossover usually.

Anyway, thanks for your explanation on the crossover-issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: