SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from newbie-oldie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emkay
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Hello from newbie-oldie Reply with quote

Just like to say hiya, and thanks for all the knowledge I have already gained from trawling though many of your posts. Smile
I have a pair of KEF 104s that I bought new in the 70's, still have the receipt and the manual, and they are still in daily use.
(Currently I am listening to BBC radio 3 via satellite, a choir from Reykjavik).
My, how times have changed.
I will be asking if/how I should upgrade the crossover to aB standard,at some time.
I seem to remember that KEF offered the upgrade, (was it for free?) not long after I first purchased the speakers, but I was working overseas at the time, and visited the UK only a couple of times each year, so missed out, or did not think the upgrade worthwhile.
Nice to know the 104s still give pleasure to several of us.
Seasons greetings to you all.
Emkay.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the 104s were the first serious speaker I bought because I could get them trade through the University at the time - important for a student grant Smile

Later I upgraded them to aB with the kit from Kef and it was definitely worthwhile, mainly a smoother low treble with more depth to the image in this area. The cutout for the crossover is quite small, so the upgrade was on a long thin shaped pcb to accommodate the extra capacitors and feed through the hole without having to remove the other drivers.

Falcon acoustics used to have a kit, or have an aB kit for the T27, and I'm sure both circuit diagrams are in the very useful data area here. It might be worthwhile replacing all the reversible electrolytics with close tolerance components after all these years. Good luck!
Emkay
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Hello from newbie-oldie Reply with quote

Thank you audiolabtower, Smile
Yours is just the sort of first hand experience I was hoping someone would share.
I had noticed Falcon Acoustics component upgrades for the 104 aB crossover on their website, but was unsure if they included a suitable PCB.
I will make some enquiries.
No need for the additional T27 fuse in my case, I do not drive them to high output levels.
Thanks again.
MK
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from newbie-oldie Reply with quote

I miss my original 104s, I did give them some punishment...
The aB upgrade was not free but neither was it expensive as I could afford it, and yes it did make a big difference in this household.

Welcome to the sanatorium! Wink
Emkay
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks proffski,
I am obviously not alone in liking the old 104s.
At my advanced age it really does not seem worth changing from a speaker that still does it for these old ears! Wink
I have emailed Falcon Acoustics to ask if their Crossover 22 series aB HF section kits for T27A SP1032 includes a PCB.
My internet connection has been a bit 'iffy' today and as yet no response from them.
Does anyone have any info on suitable Falcon kits to upgrade 104 to aB?

Also are there any pictures of the original 104F stands on the net.

Thanks for your friendly help.
MK
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stands I made myself, the tweeters were at ear level.
I used square section black tubing for the stands.

As far as my memory allows the only bit that changed may have been the HF section, I noticed most obvious changes to strings and massed vocal works.

They were my pride and joy, now still happily working in retirement somewhere in Amesbury. Very Happy
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any pictures, but I did have them and they were obviously based on the Spendor trolley stands. If my memory is correct the top was a square section black frame supporting the base along the edges with rubber strips down the sides. There were 2 vertical uprights near but not right at the back down from the sides of the top frame, and 2 horizontal bars, front to back, at the bottom of these uprights with casters at the corners. They were around 8 in off the floor, and like BBC designs the 104 liked free air underneath rather than the space filled in with a solid stand.

On another point the replacement crossover came with a new gasket. If the old gasket is flat with being compressed so many years some window sealing foam might be a good idea to replace it with. The cab should be pretty airtight for the ABR to work properly. I believe the input panel at the back might have a tiny hole (through the DIN socket?) to equalise atmos pressure?
Emkay
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks fellas,
All useful info.
The cabinets are currently in very good shape, unblemised and air tight.
The drive units surrounds and the B139 'passive radiator' also virtually as new, they have had a pretty easy life.
At present the cabinets are horizontal with the B139 ends on quarry tiled window sills and the T27 ends on a very solid antique oak table (level exactly with the window sills), with air beneath and the centres of the units at my seated ear level.
Sound surprisingly good for a bit of a makeshift setup.

Thanks for the description of the stands, I really need something more 'olde worlde' to fit in with my cottage interior, (nice bit of oak perhaps), but those I have seen on the net seem very pricey.
Sounds like a DIY project.
Thanks again for your help chaps. Smile

MK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: