SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radford parts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krimney
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Radford parts Reply with quote

Ok, I may have the chance to get a set of Radford S90 TL speakers. Current owner says he thinks that a mid is not working. I have read a bit and found one statement that says the tweeter is a philips?? does anyone know if Radford used their own drivers for the S90? it is a 10" with dome mid and tweeter.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
tweeter is a philips

In some, others look like Peerless DT10HFC or KO10DT.

Read this

http://homepage.mac.com/planet10/TLS/classics/pdfs/Radford-Product-77-78.pdf

If you have a reliable recone shop, get a quote, otherwise forget them as the "alternative" ~2" dome midrange by Peerless is a very rare bird indeed.

About every couple/three of years the mid/treble plates are seen at the Tonbridge Audiojumble with a silly price and no guarantees.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
krimney
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: radfords Reply with quote

Well, I opened them up and poked around a bit.
Tweeter is a peerless, I can see the peerless logo under the radford sticker.
I think the mid is also a peerless sealed back mid.
woofer is a Goodmans.

the wires were loose on the mid so I resoldered them, to no avail. Started poking around on the crossover and one of the caps waas loose, and when I touched it the mid came to life!!! soldered the loose connection and now they are singing beautifully.

Very nice sounding indeed.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt like a good poke Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that tweeter looked so like the 1 inch Audax that almost everyone ended up using in the 70s/80s I wondered who came first and who copied whom? Smile

Did not Kef also buy in Audax tweeters for the low cost series for a time? Coda III with a plastic face plate with Kef engraved on show? Or was it just the models with the cloth sock that covered all the sides, Celeste and Concord 4s?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cronology from memory, Peerless DT10HFC then the KO10DT and it's contemporary the Audax 12*9, then the square plated Peerless and it's contemporary the Audax HD100D25.

Dunno about the SP1087 but the K Series tweeters / Linn Twisted Evil Index SP1192 was made by Panasonic.
krimney
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: parts Reply with quote

Dropped in to my favourite audio shop today and found myself a pair of 2" Goodman mids as used in the S90. model MD9/2. Also in the panel were a pair of TD3 tweeters (also used in the s90) only one is currently working but I might be able to fix the other.

It has been suggested by another member on another forum that I should replace the goodman/peerless units with some better drivers.??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: