SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I be ditching the Saras?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joddle
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Should I be ditching the Saras? Reply with quote

I have had a love affair with my Linn Saras ever since I got them but after an accident (blowing two drivers) and after finding this forum I am now wondering if I should try something else.

I have been very much interested in the Kef Kit3 as it seems to offer a lot of quality and range for a modest outlay. However that got me wondering if there was ever a design using the B300 rather than the B139 which may have a bit more oomph as I have a very large room to fill. However I did not want to go to a full height floor stander for "her indoors" issues. I know the kefkit 3 is really a floor stander but it would actually fit quite well in the space I have "been alloted" which is raised some 12 " from the floor. I am not afraid of building or modding cabinets and apart from the B300s, most of the needed kef stuff seems pretty readily available.

Is this (or even the Kefkit3) a sensible way to go? and would it actually be better than what I have already got? And if not what might be?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have a pair of Saras and know from the blown units where the holes in the cone made with a soldering iron are plus the thickness of the car underseal on the frames, with some SP1014s of sleezeBay and some DIY you could get them back up and running.

The CS7 cabinet with a Falcon type 53 crossover is the CAD version of the KK3/Concerto.
http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFConstructorSeries/KEFCS7Leaflet/Gallery/pages/KEFCS7-1.htm

The CS9 is for the B300B, B110B and T72.
http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFConstructorSeries/KEFCS9Leaflet/Gallery/pages/CS9-1.htm

In each case the B110 is loaded by a LS3/5a sized box, so you could build a sub/satellite system to keep "her indoors" happy Shocked .

There is no B300B/B110A/T27 design, but some listening test experiments whilst attenuating the B300B won't be that hard.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Joddle
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually in my Saras (which I have had from new so nothing has been changed) the chassis and everything about the B200s is perfectly normal - i.e. clean chassis, no dope, no underseal, no white dust cover disks, no holes and exatly the same in every way as the units I bought from Ebay to replace them. The speakers are now funcitoning OK but I am becomming a little dissatisfied with the overal sound and from reading posts in this forum wonder if I would do better with a slightly larger "Kef" item instaed of the "Linn". I do like the depth of bass of the Sara and would not want to lose that but they can be a bit wooly on very low notes. The cs7 looks pretty good and for what I understand is a bit better than the concerto with a slightly larger cab. I had not seen or heard of the cs9 but that looks promising - if I can get two B300s!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: